Coral Vue Hydros

how long does carbon last in a tank?

ny3papi

spyderman_200

I only use carbon about once a month and only leave it in for 4-5 days. The carbon can only soak up so much crap and over time it will start to release the crap back into your tank.

I leave my carbon in 24/7 and replace it every 3 weeks - month. No problems so far & crystal clear water. - that's what i've always done

over time it will start to release the crap back - where the heck did you hear that? over time it servers as a biological filter, i've never ever ever heard of releasing stuff back into the tank. if anything, it's full and can't absorb more so the tank builds up w/ the stuff until more carbon is appplied.

Originally posted by spyderman_200

I only use carbon about once a month and only leave it in for 4-5 days. The carbon can only soak up so much crap and over time it will start to release the crap back into your tank.

Good carbon doesn't release stuff....not in its nature. 30 days of straight use is a baseline life....

Cameron

carbon becomes full of saturated organics overtime- and from that it will become a "haven" for nitrates and other organics encourging algae growth and other problems- so in effect- it can "leach" it back into your water. the biggest problem people have when algea breaks out is lack of carbon changes.

carbon is really only active of a few days to a week at most. You can generally leave it in with no adverse effects for up to a month, and most people do, but after a week or so it starts to lose it's effectiveness in the aquarium.

I use a small amount 24/7 in my reef tank that is changed every week. I feel it is better to use small amounts all the time and change it frequently, than to use carbon only every once in a while or leave it in for extended amounts of time without changing it. By changing it every week the DOC's don't get the chance to build up.

Running carbon only for a few days at a time once a month or using carbon 24/7, but only changed once a month or longer:

Fresh carbon will absorb DOC's pretty quickly, causing the water quality to change very quickly. This will have an adverse reaction to the corals by increasing the water clarity because of the sudden decrease in DOC's. ie, they will receive a large increase in UV light that was being blocked by the DOC's. Like willgr1 said the carbon will lose it effectiveness after a week or so. It is not actually polishing the water like it should but is now acting like a biological filter.

• Like 1
  • 14 years later...
On 2/19/2005 at 11:32 AM, chrissreef said:

I leave my carbon in 24/7 and replace it every 3 weeks - month. No problems so far & crystal clear water. - that's what i've always done

over time it will start to release the crap back - where the heck did you hear that? over time it servers as a biological filter, i've never ever ever heard of releasing stuff back into the tank. if anything, it's full and can't absorb more so the tank builds up w/ the stuff until more carbon is appplied.

BINGO