ReefCleaners.org

HughJas's 40G Breeder Odyssey

HughJas

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The doors are 1/2" oak plywood with 1/2" solid oak pieces wrapping the edges to give a faux "frame and panel look". It's a whole lot stronger in this case than using actual frame and panel.

Here's a pic that should better explain it. You can see the plywood edge and the pieces that wrap it.

img_2353.jpg

And here's our dog inspecting the door.

img_2360.jpg

I have 2 120mm fans in the canopy to help keep the temps down. The downside is the thing sounds like a small turboprop when they're running.

I know there's at least 110 million ways to control fan speed but I had the parts on hand so I decided to build me a simple variable speed control.

It ranges from 6 to ~12 volts so I can go as loud or as soft as the temp dictates.

One more noisy item off the list.

img_2365.jpg

img_2366.jpg

img_2364.jpg

One of my hairy mushrooms is at it again - splitting. All my other mushrooms simply move around and leave a trail of babies but these guys keep splitting like something in a science book...

Is this something specific to this species or does this guy just like to multiply this way?

img_2379.jpg

Hi Hugh Jas,

your tank looks great! It's progressing along well. I've been following your thread for awhile and just decided to jump in today. I have a question regarding the background on your tank....what type of paint did you use? Was it a particular blue...I like it alot and bought Krylon Blue but wanted to make sure it would look like yours...! Thanks!

Thanks Tigah - but it's got such a LOOONG way to go...

BRISK - here's some pics of the paint I used. I got it from Home Depot.

HTH

~CHRIS

img_2426_sm.jpg

img_2427_sm.jpg

Here's some update tank shots.

New addition - Froggy Frogspawn.

img_2431_sm.jpg

New Candycane courtesy of JoshnEmily...

img_2429_sm.jpg

Random Macro Shot of some Zoos

img_2432_sm.jpg

What size holes did you use for the closed loop and what size pump? I'm doing the same tank so trying to figure out what I need for good flow w/ a SCWD...

I used 1" bulkheads and 1" tubing. The pump is a Mag9. When I worked it out on paper with headloss and loss from the SCWD it was pushing about 400gph.

Thanks Uchiha.

Not a whole heck of a lot going on lately. I'm just letting things settle before adding some SPS from a local reefer. I'd love to add some of those sweet dendros of yours :)

I did pick up this little derasa clam yesterday. He's just now getting used to his new surroundings.

After some unplanned re-aquascaping to catch a #($*#$ yellowtail damsel I thought I'd post a new pic of the aquascape. I like it the way it was but it's dang impossible to get things back the way they were.

Does anybody have an idea on what these little white guys are? I see them all over the bottom of my rocks when I was rearranging them.

If I need better shots let me know and I'll bust out the tripod.

Originally posted by corvica

I believe those are Urn Sponges, shouldnt be a problem at all, they do spread though.

Ditto, I don't have them in my tank, but they are all over my sump.

Originally posted by HughJas

After some unplanned re-aquascaping to catch a #($*#$ yellowtail damsel...

What was the problem with the damsel?

Was thinking about getting one because I heard the were more mild-mannered than most damsels.

Was it too territorial? Harming corals?

Archived