Innovative Marine Aquariums

I'm just BowFrontin'

DRZL-sauras

Howdy Ho-Ho-Homiesss!

My 36G BF is looking decent enough to post up so a manly semi-journal shall be made. I snapped up some quicks before getting going out to get the girlie a present so I promise I will try to do better next time.

Quick Specs

2 mth old upgrade

36G barebottom bowfront

40G Breeder Sumpfugium

250w 14K Phoenix DE MH

135W total Act 03 PC

Mag 9.5 SCWD return w. DIY glass external overflow

Mag 9.5 blowing on ground for crap removal

DIY EAP Euro-reef (Pulls out as much a regular ER)

80 lbs fiji LR =30 lbs display 50lbs in sumpfugium

tsunami auto-topoff connected to 10G reservioir

Coil Dentrator

DIY Stand made from a gutted out antique dresser

The good stuff:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG! how in the world did you create that "wall" whats all taht rockwork encrusted on the back? thats incredible! reminds me of some of the tanks in baltimore aquarium... if you can post more pics- thatll be swell!

belowH20

Hey didnt think anyone would notice, yea ive been alot to RC-land and basically just dealing w/ this tank and honestly having everything go wrong first before it went right. Ill tell the horror story soon enough. by the way your 10 is looking schhweeet.

Pinchy

Ill post the next pic for you..its before it touched water. The backdrop is made from insulation foam with aragonite and pieces of base rock shoved in as well as PVC parts to make caves. Ill post a pic in the pimp cave my blenny lives in.

Tigah

Play on playa

no it was meant to say insulation , rock...seperate.

The backdrop is made from expanding insulation foam. The stuff that comes in a can to fill in windows and doors from HD, its called GREAT STUFF and cost $5-$6 added some aragonite pieces of base rock and PVC and voila. The good thing is that you can put corals all over it and i also have red and purple coralline growing on. It is inert and have noticed NO problems with it...Pods love it too

If you go to RC the TOTM has a paragraph that explains his foam backdrop as well...it really is "great stuff"

As a side note as well to anyone who gives a flying sh!t.

The bottom is not starboard it is actually sand with a poly resin that i used on top of it to give the look of sand w/o it being able to move. I recommand to any barebottomer, if you like the look of sand, but hate having it. Do this and your good to go, you can even shape it too look like it was blown around.

alemap65

Thanks for the kind words dude.

a word on the lighting, i know it seems a bit dark but in reality it is a really nice bright bluish bulb. Im no expert photographer, which is apparent but just a word to the wise. Also phoenix is Aquaconnect, which bulbs go for $130 a pop, these go for $65. It was found out that the ppl who built the bulbs for AC had a market slip in japan. Come to findout that AC doesnt make their own bulbs but buys from them...sooo reefers got wind of it, and these bulbs are now alot cheaper because of the AC mark-up. Spectral tests were made and these bulbs spectrum and PAR are identical. Only reason im bringing this up is because this bulb is the only bulb that can fluoresce like an ACT 03 bulb can, w/o secondary actinic supplementation. Also these bad boys are like a 14K look w/ a 10K pop.

Shiiieeett might as well make this thread informative right?;)

Wow that is packed with rock! I like the way you did that never ending reef look. It makes it appear the rocks keep going above the surface, like that is a small slice of the reef.

trmiv

spyderman_200

spanks ya. Actually the cool thing is that is becoming live rock, as it is becoming bio alive, so it adds to your rock, and you get so much surface area for the "LR wall" that itd extra bio in the tank

Sprite

The 14K is really nice, i had always been more of a 10K man, but this bulb is the best of both worlds. I really like it. Mine might be a little bluer since i am running on an Icecap, but i dont mind im satisfied with the spectrum and its flourescing effect on the coral.

Cant say yet on SPS only switched over about a week ago, i have a small stag and a blue milli in there, yet im happy to say they didnt skip a beat at all, so im guessing they are happy. Oh on the SPS note, a friend of mine gave me this tannish Monti Cap, put it close to the 10K and guess what? Its turning into a purple green rimmed cap. The ones ive seen have always been the other way around. Since adding the 14k i think its been getting more vibrant but maybe its just me but my friends have been noticing it as well

Archived