Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cheap 24G Nano Cube Skimmer Solution

Doriftu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ClarkiiClown

I just made one of these for my 12. Nice design! Works well. The only thing is I can see it. I think I will make it out of black plexi.

dang dga that is alot of work i drilled a couple of holes and then threw in a zip tie but i used one of those little video tape things not a cassete. i didnt notice what i made it out of until i started on another one with some in mods, then i realized i need to buy some more video cassete things! CRAP!

My 2 cents worth:

Going to make this out of black plastic. I am thinking of smoothing out the edges so it blends with the tank better.

Originally posted by NanoBob

My 2 cents worth:

Going to make this out of black plastic.  I am thinking of smoothing out the edges so it blends with the tank better.

Looks like a tape cassette case to me. Why build it?

Looks like a tape cassette case to me. Why build it?

It will blend in better with the back since it will be black. Also I am making a few alterations and will post as soon as I make it.

Fair enough. Just curious that's all... I used the back side of a black tape cassette so it blends just fine. But hey, a little DIY experience never hurts.

im amazed to this day at the response of this post, im glad people are using the idea, and even modding it to perform better. glad its serving its purpose, i wasn't going to post it originaly as i thought it was a tad on the ghetto side, but thought what the hell and did it anyway.

Yes it does. I used that as my guide. Hopefully you don't have a copywrite.:D I am using something similar right now, but I want to see if I can hide it a little better. Since I have a CNC mill at my disposal I figured I would make myself something that looks a little cleaner.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Bob

I guess people with really small tanks could use one of those cassette cases for an answering machine. Maybe in a 5 gal or so!

Originally posted by NanoBob

Yes it does.  I used that as my guide. Hopefully you don't have a copywrite.:D   I am using something similar right now, but I want to see if I can hide it a little better.  Since I have a CNC mill at my disposal I figured I would make myself something that looks a little cleaner.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Bob

You got the right idea. as i say make it yourself! to be 'able" to computer aid design it and produce the end product yourself is a great accomplishment. good work.

Afiser,

The answer to your question would be yes, you will have to put the powerhead somewhere else if you choose to use this method, as all it will do is blow the cassette cover off.

Hi...I'm new to all this and I've been following this thread. Doriftu...I understand that the turbulence caused by the cassette cover causes the organics to build up on the inside of the cover, but, how do you clean it out and how often do you have to do that? Doesn't it disperse as soon as you remove the cover? Thanks for taking the time to reply for us 'newbies'. SH

Originally posted by steelhealr

Hi...I'm new to all this and I've been following this thread. Doriftu...I understand that the turbulence caused by the cassette cover causes the organics to build up on the inside of the cover, but, how do you clean it out and how often do you have to do that? Doesn't it disperse as soon as you remove the cover? Thanks for taking the time to reply for us 'newbies'. SH

I have yet to clean mine, as it looks just like the day i installed it. with all the turbulance there really is nowhere for anything to build up. maint free so to speak. look at the pics i posted on the previous page and its easy to see why.

as dga said, have yet to have any build up on mine either, i have had a small bit of algae growing on the bottom side of it, just as it does to any back wall, but the cleanup crew seems to love it just the same, and clears it right up. I've taken it off several times, and never seen any sort of organic material left over or anything.

Archived