Cultivated Reef

Cheap 24G Nano Cube Skimmer Solution

Doriftu

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found to break that surface scum was to point that nozzle straight up. It breaks the water and it still adds flow. Would be nice to point it in a different location and have that tape skim for me though. I'll have to try it on the jbj. Now to find a pesky black tape cover or any cover for that matter, lol

The suction will hold these things in place but you still get water sucked in around the edge. Not a big deal really except it will suck in food. Again not a big deals really. I epoxied my version and it works much better with a complete seal around the edges.

Who said there would be no more uses for those tapes?????

Chris: have you ever thought of hosting a nano cube forum on your site.

To be honest, I get kinda of annoyed when I have to sift through the 20 new nano cube threads a day.

Also, I came across a place that sells cheap tapes with the black case. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to buy some and ship them out (tape included).

It wouldn't cost too much.

Well, that takes the cake. Wish I thought of that before I spent $10 in parts and a couple hours putting together my own box. Does the cassette case create any extra noise due to the water falling? I had to add a couple sponges to my setup to keep the falling water from making a lot of noise.

ya, we are all trying to find the black ones, however, the more i think about it, the more i like the clear one, as its much easier to see if it needs to be raised or lowered without having to pop open the hood, not that we all dont do that on a daily basis anyway. I think i will still probably change it out for a black one

i'm having a problem with restrictin water entry into the grate. There is no differential in water level on either side of the casette case There doesn't seem to be the waterfall effect akin to an overflow with my setup. Am i doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Originally posted by hngu7721

i'm having a problem with restrictin water entry into the grate. There is no differential in water level on either side of the casette case There doesn't seem to be the waterfall effect akin to an overflow with my setup.  Am i doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks

You might not have a strong enough pump. i use 2 - hagen 301's which are around 170gph rating and really makes the water "niagra falls" over the skimmer.

Based on "doriftu's" idea, a slight mod can make the cassette cover moveable and not fall off when pumps are turned off. i found a cover that had hole indents that keeps the tape taught instead of the cross pattern ones. inserted a small rubber piece of tubing. into that is 2 plastic screws that fit tightly through the intake slots of the back wall. just line the two up and this great idea from "doriftu" can be adjusted up and down without moving to easily. its basically a press fit. this idea is really great as it can adjust how much water is in the sump area, and as the last pic shows allows my upper powerhead to be more than half out of the water thereby reducing water temps.

Cant get a thumbnail image to post from the site i found. these pics are allready resized down by 35 percent.

dangee-1.jpg

dangee-2.jpg

dangee-3.jpg

More turbulance

dangee-4.jpg

Slide it up for less turbulance

dangee-5.jpg

Can I chip in-- this was my experience with these mods---I did the exact same mod and I learned a LOT about what works and what doesn't (see the other thread in the DIY forum) This cassette "mod" will look like it's working, but wait a few more

days-- the area inside the cassette tape will get filled with surface scum and it will halt the surface skimming process throughout the tank---- the collected surface scum will stay inside that cassette tape area and continue to accumulate until you remove the "mod" and clean it up.

The surface scum will not move "inwards" because the grills of the nanocube inlet is preventing it to "go through". Only the

water underneath the scum is allowed to flow, leaving the surface scum to accumulate on the top. The only EFFECTIVE way to move the surface scum through the inlet is to remove the inlet grills- which brings us to the next problem-- ONLY the water

below the scum is filtered by the sponges, the surface scum is still left to accumulate on the top! (go figure)

In my setup, this is how I eliminated the surface scum: I completely removed the grill to allow the surface scum to pass

through ( Fig A ) Since I don't use sponges/foam for mechanical filtration, I drilled a hole ( Fig B ) for the scum to finally drop into the sump ( Fig C ) This way, even the surface scum moves OUT of the nanocube, not just the water underneath.

surface_skim-mod.jpg

And for those without an acutal sump? hehe

I have switched to this mod as of today from my other very similar mod because my DIY mod ended up being very noisy (not to mention annoying when you're trying to sleep). I guess I'll wait and see how it works. My other one (although noisy) didn't show any signs of the surface scum building up within the box. Maybe I just have less surface scum... who knows.

Originally posted by Perpetual98

What is this thing you refer to as a "cassette"?  ;)

This one's smart mom, can we keep him? He's a little slow but he's oh so cute!
Originally posted by Lingwendil

This one's smart mom, can we keep him? He's a little slow but he's oh so cute!

See the first post.

Archived