inTank Media Baskets

Now that I've identified it, what do I do with it? Bristleworm

shanebeall

Found this thing in the tank tonight. It was walking all over my green rhodactis, which has been very irritated the past few days, and has not be fully extending. Looked like a fireworm to me (recently read an article about them), so I looked it up on the internet. I don't have a positive ID on it, but it looks almost identical to the animal listed as A (Eurythoe spp.)

030246comb.JPG

That animal is a fireworm. It's difficult for me to see this worm that I have in detail, as it's only about 1/4" long.

The cool thing is, I've got it in a small container, and he seems to enjoy flake food.

Doing research, fireworms eat coral. Boy, does this suck. Do they reproduce asexually? Should I be concerned that there are others in the aquarium like him? I'm considering setting up a small 2.5 gallon for him, just because he looks bad-ass.

My question: I don't have lights for a 2.5 gallon. Obviously, if it's just him in there, I won't need any fancy lighting, just normal florescents will do. Should he be fine without lights for a few days? A week? I'm going to have nightmares about this guy forever now, and I'm really worried about the aquarium.

Also, I've got a featherduster. I've got both Kent Phtyoplankton and Kent Zooplankton. Which one is better for him? What is the difference?

It will do more good than harm in your tank. It will eat poop and yuck form your sand and rocks. It will make babies that will eat poop and yuck too! :)

Blech, say what you will, I dont like big or red fireworms in my tank. The only ones I'll allow are tiny white ones that I rarely see... I know they arent detrimental but I like my snails...

Yeah. It definately hurt when I picked it up, alot, so I got rid of it. Today, my green rhodactis was fully extended and happy that it had a full night without the death-worm.

The article I read was printed in the free mini-magazine SeaScope by Aquarium Systems. The first article was about propagating Ricordia yuma, and the second was about fireworms.

"Fire worms also prey on coral, such as Tubastrea and many other species, and on hydrocoral such as Millepora."

It does have a really cool picture of a horde of fireworms eating something. It reminds me of zombies attacking someone.

Archived