ReefCleaners.org

fair prices?

p.o.t.u.s

Can anyone point me towards a good resource that lists "fair" prices for corals? I know prices vary by region, but is there a good book/mag/website out there that I can use?

Thanks!

uh oh, did I open pandora's box? Hopefully not, but such a resource (if it exists) would be really nice to have.

What will happen is that everyone will start arguing what "fair" is, they'll talk about supply and demand and capitalism, geography, and they'll talk about being broke students, and the cost of shipping, and the quality of certain providers, etc. They'll talk about this being an expensive hobby, period, and then they'll start talking about "fads". It's possible that environmentalism will play into it as well.

The best prices you will find for corals will be at a local reef club meeting. A lot of the time people will give you frags for free since you don't have many, and if not, they won't charge more than $10-20 a piece.

All that being said, my recommendation would be to re-post a thread that's a little more specific to your location, tank size and inhabitants, because it will make a difference if you're housing a few shrooms versus a bunch of acans, and whether you want aquacultured or wild caught. Just a thought.

Ok, that all makes sense. I was just checking if a "blue book" existed for corals as it does for cars. Thanks for the info. Thanks bikini and vic

You know, potus, on a serious note, it relaly would be nice if there was a site that outlined all of the available options out there, be it online purchasing, LFS's or frag swapping as mentioned by vic. I think the biggest problem with this is that the supply is volatile -- there are only so many live animals that a dealer can handle at one time, and since shipping is so expensive, they're not going to re-order from their suppliers until they have a largely depleted inventory. And with frag swapping... that just depends on whose stuff is growing and needs to be trimmed back.... So, a national website that would keep up with all of those changes would be probably require a staff of 10 working full-time.

yeah, true...i wonder if NR could try? If we had a poll for each type of coral, people could comment on the price they paid (per polyp for softies or inch for SPS...whatever) Just an idea. I don't know how practical that'd be but it might be interesting to get a rough idea of fair market price.

Originally posted by bikinibottom

What will happen is that everyone will start arguing what "fair" is, they'll talk about supply and demand and capitalism, geography, and they'll talk about being broke students, and the cost of shipping, and the quality of certain providers, etc. They'll talk about this being an expensive hobby, period, and then they'll start talking about "fads". It's possible that environmentalism will play into it as well.

LOL. that's actually a very good summary of all the arguments.

well, I guess you could try it for fun, but you've got people on this website from all over the world. A Caribbean specimen will be a lot more expensive to a guy living in Australia than for a lady living in Florida, if you include the shipping prices of the items.

yeah, true...too bad...I'd like to know when/if I'm getting ripped off...but I guess I'm stuck with my gut feeling on the matter. Thanks all!

Archived