Pod Your Reef

what kind of snail?

chufa

I got a few of those hitchikers. They seem to be reproducing. They are a univalve, with a broad funnel-shaped shell, with a small hole (siphon) on the top center of the shell. Here's a pic

printerdown01

Simply put it is a limpet... They will reproduce like crazy, it's awesome! They will feed on algae, but they don't really add much to your clean-up crew.

Limpet, limpet, limpet. Not a nice sounding name...

Call it an opihi (oh-pee-hee) - that's Hawaiian for ya

When they get about 1" around, you should try shucking them and eating them - you'll have to pry them off first. Tastes just as good as abalone (eat it raw).

I believe that they're intertidal though. If it get's big enough, it may crawl out of the tank, so watch it well.

Originally posted by chufa

They seem to be reproducing.

The randiest of the gastropods is the limpet. This hot-

blooded little beast, with its tent-like shell, is always on

the job. Its extramarital activities are something

startling. Frankly, I don't see how the female limpet finds

time to adhere to the rock face.

--Monty Python

As much as I love native Hawai'ian words (and Austronesian languages in general--when I was an undergrad I did some work with a really cool language from the Solomon Islands called 'Are'are, but that's another story), I can't hear the word "limpet" without thinking of the above and having a good chuckle.

SteveC

• 3 weeks later...

I think if you buy Gulf rock you are virtually guaranteed some. I have a lot of them, and they seem to reproduce quickly. According to Sprung & Delbeek, they do attack some corals (but maybe only if there's nothing else to eat, I dunno). I caught my largest ones munching tunicates so out they went. Luckily they move pretty slow, so I just keep the rock with the tunicates clear of them and that seems to work.

Archived