Top Shelf Aquatics

Seup suggestions

Lacrosseboss18

Lacrosseboss18

I have an idea of a setup and here is what i am thinking about.

7 Gallon AGA Bow Front

Wisper Power Filter Do i need this he said he would substitute the rio for the wisper.

The guy quoted it would be $125.00 for the two items seems a little pricey. What do you all think?

He said he would look for a light fixture that would hold two 32W bolbs and he said it would be under a hundred but close to it. Waiting to see, i will call him back and post the response.

A RIO 50 for $20.00

Live sand $30 i have TONS of crushed coral from a friends tank but it hasnt been used in like two years/ what should i do and how do i ge it to work for me

Figi Life rock for 7.99/lb

Thats jus tthe tank and then i posed a very similar post a few days ago with lots more to it. Sorry for doing it im new to all this message board stuff but very excited about the hobby. He said that with no corals and no fish i would be like somewhere in the low 200 and with the light 300 he told me i could get away without the light he is using a blue 15W on a show room bow and he said it works. I want the more light though.

Side not he had the most amazing mushrooms there. It was all on one small piece of rock, it had about 4 or 5 different colored mushrooms on it. He quoted me about $50 maybe $70. I am def going to get my hands on one of those and post the pics. Also what type of heater should i get and if there is anything else i am missing could u please help me out. I would love it if some of you who have already set up tanks like this or similar setups could help me out. I know they are all around but i havent been able to find much detail about it. Thank you very much sorry its so long.

Joey

printerdown01

Let me start with this... What are you looking at keeping?? This is a VERY important question... This will tell you what you do and don't need...

Here is a pic from a member's [rick j g's] 7 gallon nano (Alife so it too has a bowed front):DSCN0692.jpg?bc4RW39AbGsF411k ...sorry rick, I hope you don't mind me showing your tank off... This thing has 27W of PC on it. So unless you are looking to keep some serious high light corals you will be just fine with a single 32W, IMO.

Lacrosseboss18

Well right now i am just looking to start slow. Maybe some soft corals like bubbles, mushrooms of all different colors. Brain... Nothing too hard to keep mostly hardy stuff for my frist attempt. I am open to suggestions. Also if anyone knows of a place i could go to shop around at in the NY city or NJ area i am in school at NJ so. Thank you all for your help it will help to make my reef very happy.

printerdown01

You would be just find spending about $50 on a 32W (make sure you pick up a 50/50 bulb). I would use a Rio 50 or Rio 90, both are usually under $20. You could probably ditch the Power Head idea and go with a HOB (hang on back filter). A penguin mini would cost you about $20. This would also give you the space to put chem filtration if you need it. If you use crushed coral pick up some ULTRA fine grade sand, and mix it with it. The smaller the tank the smaller grainsize desired (this will allow for more anaerobic bacteria), do a 1"+ sand bed (pref 2"). After a week of cycling start adding a clean-up crew (avoid turbos in a 7 gallon, they will knock everything over). I would have gone with a 50W heater as well... Note: there are many ways to create a nanoreef, this is just how I would do it...

Lacrosseboss18

printerdown01 you have been most helpful. I am sorry for my stupidity in this area, i am new. Thank you so much though. Would the penguin mini make a lof of noise. Thats a huge issue right now also. The wisper is very silent thats what he had it also hangs on the back of the tank. Aslo you made mention of a chemical filtration, what is this? Also would the 32W (50/50) light fit in the hood that comes with the 7 gallon bow. Is there a brand that you are familiar with that would work well. Thank you again for your help. I was thinking for cleaners a few small bluye leg hermits a slunk cleaner shrimp and what type of sails then? Thank you

Joey

• 2 weeks later...

but i think i can answer some of your questions-if no one minds me butting in.

#1 the penguin/marineland mini filter will be as quiet, if not quieter than the whisper. along with aquaclear (mini or 150) they make the best hang-on-the-back filters on the market. besides being virtually silent and providing circultaion they offer the added benefit of having space for chemical filtration media.

#2 chemical filtration-granted i'm not webster-is simply the removal of dissolved substances/chemicals from the water. the most commonly used chemical filtration media is high quality activated carbon. lesser quality carbon will leach phosphate back into the system, which may in turn lead to algae problems. Some reefers swear by it, others despise its use. This is because in addition to adsorbing potentially harmful products from the water, carbon will also remove beneficial nutrients and chemicals required by corals and other inverts. Many reefers use a small amount of carbon and/or phosphate removing medias for a couple days each month.

#3 finally the light question... CSL-custom sealife-makes a 32W power compact retrofit that will fit perfectly in the hood of a 7 bow. The lamp is called a "Smartlight" and it provides an ideal balance of actinic and daylight spectrums. In this setup it would work great for a number of different coral and invert species. It shouldn't cost more than $50 ballast, lamp reflector-all inclusive. There is a website that outlines retrofitting the hood with this lamp. Search on google or whoever for "Mistress Reef" and check out the "Bonsai Reef". I think you'll find the directions right there. And it should be easy to do from what i remember. If you can't ffind the CSL retro kit go to Hellolights.com (great service!) and you should be able to find a very similar kit. Maybe cheaper. Good luck, and if more questions come up i'll try to field as many as you can throw at me. Welcome to the hobby!

Archived