SaltCritters.com

poor crabbie

bdmiller

My poor emerald crab died. I only had him for a week. I think he may have died over the weekend. My tank is at work so, I'm wondering if the SG was too high. I came in on Monday and I had pretty much evaporation. How sensitive are these guys to salinity?

Can anyone recommend any good algae eaters?

Thanks

dont be in such a hurry asumming hes dead they are great hiders and some u may never know they are there. take a look in your tank at night with a light u may find him i have one and he seems to lurk more at night when the light hits em he backs into the shadows.

I agree iwth thse guys....don't be so quick to assume he is dead. New shrimps and crabs have a good chance of molting in new tanks. It happend frequently and often scares the tank owners. Give it time....newly molted critters go hide for a while until there shell hardens again.

He is likely still there....did you find just a shell or a full crab?

Cameron

One thing that got me the first time one of my blue legs molted was that the shell was colored just like the crab. I was used to freshwater crustaceans, whose molted shells are always (as far as I know) translucent white regardless of the color of the critter, so I was absolutely sure I had a dead crab!

Then I counted them, and concluded I must have had a hitchhiker that subsequently died.

Then it happened again the next day, and I still had the same number of crabs. That's when I realized that saltwater critters are just a little different in that regard.

Steve

phyish1, I found a full crab. Minus one of his arms tho. It may have fell off when I pulled him out. When they molt is it just their shell or their whole body? Like I said, I pulled out a whole crab, legs and all.

I guess I should have asked if it was a hollow shell or full. When they shed you will find a whole empty shell (it's very cool to watch them shed by the way). If it is dead you will find a whole shell with crab meat in it. You'd be able to tell pretty easy cuz the empty shell should crush pretty easy.

Cameron

Archived