ReefCleaners.org

Stocking a nano and other q's!

Mel

Hi,

I have just aquired a 50cm wide 40cm high octogon tank which holds about 70L of water. The tank was meant for seahorses but the glass place stuffed up the measurements :| and now i am left with this tank.

I have had seahorses for about 6months so I understand cycling, flitration etc, what I need help with is a stocking guide. I'm not really sure how many or if I could have a couple of fish in this tank. I was thinking of maybe a clown, but does anybody have any suggestions - something colourful would be nice :P

Also I like to keep a few corals - I'm not really sure yet so I know it's difficult to give specifics with regards to lighting, but any pointers would be greatly appreicated :blush:

It is also my understanding that in a 'standard' reef tank water flow should be about 10x the tank volume, but again that this is dependent on the corals that are kept. Is this the same for a nano tank?

Finally...when is a tank considered to be a nano - is it under a certain volume, length etc?

Well I think that's about it for the moment...I'm sure I'll have more questions!:)

Thanks,

Mel B)

bump

i'm assuming this isn't for seahorses because of the lowered height. i'm still translating your australian into english. :P

would you want to keep the tank as a hatchery for mysis or brine shrimp? just a suggestion.

keeping the horses in mind i would suggest a lagoon-type setting to let this tank serve as a backup to your current horse tank. leather corals and other softies are good. some caulerpa taxifolia or halimeda for filtration and effect is nice. green star polyps are very colorful, along with zoanthids and palythoas (i like the green ones).

deep water corals are good too. gorgonians (tank's a little short) or dendros. you're feeding the horses anyways :P

if you don't plan on horses at all for this tank then all the stonys become options but are more difficult imo. let us know which way you're leaning and that'll get you better responses. good luck!

p.s. it's a nano once you pass our initiation! : don't ask until you're serious X)

:P

Hi,

You're right - this tank isn't for seahorses b/c it's too small - it was meant to be 50cm high (approx 20inches) but they got the measurements around the wrong way so I am left with it!

I wanted to put a small marine fish or two in it and some corals instead - any ideas? No difficult corals - ones that will flourish in the small environment!

As for the Australian comment - I won't go there. Suffice to say that every post I read I need to translate into Australian!!!:P

What's the initation - I'm serious:*( B)

Thanks,

Mel:blush:

metric smetric :P just ribbing you ;) i like aussies, especially claudia black! :love: ( different forum!)

with that height i'd go for showing off tall corals (colts and gorgonians). yellow leathers are also nice and grow tall.

the initiation? well, i expected you to get an espi welcome but he's probably busy for his trip. you aussies like bar-b-q, right? :P

welcome to nano-reefs! ;)

Archived