Top Shelf Aquatics

?? Purple Colt Coral Rescue ??

aquawolf

Hi everyone,

My LFS has a purple colt coral that is not looking as good as it should and the guy there said it is because the lighting they have it under is too strong and they don't like real strong light.

Now my wife is concerned for this coral and wants to "rescue" it.

I have a 12g Nano Cube DX, with 15lbs LR, 20lbs LS and the stock 24w 50/50 lighting. I calculate that I have just under 8 gallons of water in the tank due to displacement by LS and LR. So this would give me an approximation of 3 watts per gallon in the lighting department.

My question is this: Can this colt coral not only survive but actually thrive under my lighting conditions or does it require more light than that? I would like to please my wife and get this coral but I do not want to anything that will harm it anymore than what may have already happened.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Michael

I have a normal colt under a 20 watt Coralife bulb and it is doing fine and has grown in the month I have had it. My greater caution would be size! These things grow fast.

Thanks Aquarium BOB,

So the lighting doesn't seem like it should be a problem, and this is only a small rock so should have plenty of room to grow.

I guess the most important question now would be how can I tell if this cral is healthy when it is living in my tank? I couldn't tell there was anything wrong with it at the LFS, so anymore pointers would help alot before I attempt this rescue mission. ;)

make sure you have a lot of flow...mine died becuase of this. Every so often they will excrete mucus to cleanse itself, and if you do not have enough flow to carry the crap away it will get an infection. This is what happened to mine, and it was one of the most beautiful specimens. :(

Okay, now to show how much of a newbie I really am. ;)

How could you tell that the colt coral died?

I am still not sure I want to take a chance at the rescue because all I know is the guy at the LFS said it wasn't doing very well. I have only seen it look like it does at LFS, so have no idea how unhealthy it actually is.

Heck, for all I know it could be dead already and they might still try to sell it to me!! :x

Any advice on this issue would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived