inTank Media Baskets

Fish's 2gal starfire cube. Pictures inside.

ninjafish

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unit,

Nice find, I like the looks of the lamp and would obviously use the extra wattage. Unfortunately the site doesn't give a lot of info. Do you know what kind of bulb it takes? (like pin arrangement - it would be cool if you could mix some actinic in as well)

Cheers,

- Chad

Hi everyone,

I just got my camcorder working and made up this little video clip. Sorry that the quality isn't very good - I only have so much space I'm allowed to use on the site. I found that Windows Media worked best for me, I hope it comes through:

http://www.studioonline.com/playvideos.asp...6A1B9E0DF500100

Cheers,

- Chad

ps - I hope the music isn't too lame... it kinda went with my theme

:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I just swapped out the stock 6700k bulb with a 13W 50/50 (10000K/actinic) power compact. The color is way better and I am even getting a little fluorescence from my mushrooms. I will snap a picture next time I'm at work and post it.

Also, I had to take the clown out because there is so much current in the tank that it was getting tuckered out - no place to rest. Right now I am trying to decide on a blenny or goby that can sit down so it isn;t always swimming. I've thought maybe a bicolor blenny. What say ye?

Cheers,

- Chad

Thanks for the tips guys, I am glad you picked the clown goby because they actually carry them where I am. I will probably add one next week.

- Chad

Excellent setup. Very slick looking.

Just a few thoughts about lighting... Have you considered a 70w halide? I think it would make an ideal light in this situation. You could get a regent security floodlight from home depot . Look for a fixture that you could configure to attach to a desk lamp. Sand the whole thing down and give it a coat of high heat enamel. You could build a ballast box and put it under the desk. Who knows....

Again, the tank looks great. Good luck!

-q

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I passed over a yellow clown goby and even an awesome green clown goby, and ended up getting a bicolor blenny instead. It is such a curious little guy and is perfect for this tank.

I have to admit that I am very interested in the 70w mh idea. That would make for an awesome tank! My main concern right now is with evaporation. I would definitely need a top-up of some sort. Hmmmmm....

-Chad

Maybe you could build a box type thing into the line from the tank before the canister filter. the water would go through the box but you could have a baffle in it so there would be an area where the water level would fluctuate and you could mount a float switch for the auto topoff.

Ok, time to get creative. The "no equipment" look is SO tight, and there might be a way to pull it off *and* have a sump, making for a slightly larger water volume and easing installation of a topoff and associated floatswitches.

First, what is your desk at work like? Is there a hutch, or an area to hide an opaque container that would be slightly taller than the water level of the tank? Could you get plumbing to this area?

If so, find / build an acrylic box (white?) and plumb it as your "sump". Then you could plumb your tank into the "sump" and the water levels would remain close to the same. You would have to play with the flow to make sure everything works right... but you could have something the size of a 2.5g with a top over it that the floatswitch is mounted in. More fuge and lr space to feed that bicolor! Add a few more submersible lights and an airpump auto topoff below the desk.

I'm about to set up my bigger tank and retire my nano, but now i want to run the big tank and a clean looking nano like you have. I already have a 70w halide ballast and bulb. Now I'mg gonna start looking at desk lamps and other fixtures. See what you've done?!?! My wife is gonna be ####ed....

-q

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately my current setup wouldn't allow it but when I move the tank home I will definitely be working out an auto top off - and a 70W light (anyone know where a guy could get a 10-20K mh bulb in 70watt?)

What about a good dosing pump feeding an ailine up through the

bottom of the tank - adding a little water over time?

- Chad

• 1 month later...

Here is a more recent pic:

10857latestfull.jpg

My yellow clown goby:

10857ycg.jpg

And sexy shrimp:

10857sexyshrimp.jpg

Let me know what you think!

- Chad

Thanks guys B)

I have also bought a 70w mh retrofit lighting kit that should arrive any day, and a dosing pump that I will use for auto topoff.

- Chad

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

The halide came and I have placed it in a desklamp - the retrofit looks perfect! (if I do say so myself) :blush:

I am going to remove the undergravel plate and run it with the intake above the sand level because I have been concerned with food being sucked down inside the substrate. I am also putting in new rock and adding some corals. Pictures are only a day or so away!

Cheers,

- Chad

Archived