Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish's 2gal starfire cube. Pictures inside.

ninjafish

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...too bad you couldn't build an auto-top-off without equipment showing...You'd have to have some kind of water level detector showing...

Also, I was curious as to where you got your starphire (I hear it's hard to find)

~Brian

I keep a water bottle of RO/DI water in the desk drawer. So far it looks like I lose about 8oz of water a day to evaporation.

Inter American put the tank together for me. I had to go with 6mm glass because that is the thinnest size they had in starfire.

- Chad

Hey man, nice looking tank you have there ;) you probly already said this, but what are your lighting specs? Also, do you have any pics of the inlet / outlets for your plumbing?

BTW, I would suggest a small floatswitch for an auto top off system. PM SaltyDawg for some good prices and stuff. He makes a Snail Guard for the floatswitch and it's nice and SMALL.

Thanks Travis. For lighting I just chose a desk lamp with a 13w power compact in the 6700K range. It seems to be great for the softies that I chose to keep in the nano. I think I will try a 10000K bulb as a replacement. Granted, its a far cry from the 300W of MH and VHO I have over my 20gal at home but there is only so much I could do in an office... my goal was for the tank to be understated and look "simple" like there was nothing to it.

An auto topoff would be cool but it would definitely detract from the look. First I will try adding a little water each day I work and deputizing my coworkers to top it off for me on the days that I'm not working. (My office is staffed 24/7).

I wish I would have taken a pic of the undergravel filter before I burried it. I cut the bottom half inch off of a fluvel cannister filter compartment and turned it upside down so the perforrated surface is the top. I then cut a media bag (like for putting carbon in) and stretched it over the plate and siliconed the edges in place. I cut a round hole in the plate right above the return bulkhead and inserted a sort length of 3/4" pvc through the hole and siliconed it. The pvc sits directly on the return bulkhead and prevents the inlet bulkhead from stealing the filtered water. It also ensures that 100% of the return current moves water in the tank and not under the plate. The top of the pvc is almost even with the top of the sandbed and I glued some effi substrat filter media around the rim in order to camoflage it better. I cut a little circle of wide plastic mesh off of a furnace filter and glued it over the top of the return pipe to prevent anyone from swimming down the line if I turned the filter off. Sorry for the long explaination - one picture would have done the trick...

- Chad

The one option for an auto topoff would be to add a hole to the bottom of the tank and run a length of airline tubeing up from a dosing pump. The dosing pump would have to be on a timer or set to only add as much water as I lose (or a little less to be safe). I would probably drill directly through the rock in the tank and run the line to the top of the rock so that if the pump ever failed and water began flowing the wrong way, it could only drain my tank to the top of the rock as opposed to the bottom.

Anyways, I will try the old fashioned way first.

- Chad

Travis, thanks for the link man! B)

I knew there had to be something like that out there.

If I went to a 50/50 bulb do you think I would lose too much par? (feels silly talking about par with only 13watts :*( )

I don't think we'll see a 13w pc bulb comparison on reef central any time soon...

- Chad

Update:

The anemone crab molted last night and is now looking brand new! Also, I put a baby perc clown in the tank. I hope it doesn't grow too fast. (and I have a 20/20gal at home for when it does).

- Chad

Do it! Everyone who does will help the rest of us come up with new ideas and tricks.

In my opinion this technique is the BEST way to make an ultra-clean, professional looking nano that is also completely bulletproof and healthy. The only comprimise that I made was in my lighting which is too dim for many corals. The only reason I did this is because I didn't want to have a bulky canopy obstructing the view. I'm sure that someone on the board will be able to come up with a HQI MH retrofit that will fit right in my desk lamp.... Anyone? ....

- Chad

Can't help you with a MH retrofit...

But have you looked at the Dual 13w PC trouble lights at home depot, rona, walmart et al. ? Could probably rig up a way to squeeze another 13w pc into that desk lamp...

As I said before - looks great!

Andy

I am intrigued by the unobtrusive filtration. Need to go back & read your explanation again & also find your thread on the cannister mod. I must say, visually the results are amazing. I'll be following to see what kind of success you have with the system inhabitants. Best of luck & keep up the good work.

C

Carinya,

Thank you. Here are a couple threads on RC that I posted. I haven't put anything very formal together just because, there is not a lot to the project:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...887#post4225887

Also, I have added a small perc clown to the tank as well.

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

- Chad

Originally posted by lgoins

can we see a pic of the clown?

You bet... I don't have a camera today but as soon as i get a shot i'll post it!

- Chad

Archived