SaltCritters.com

Fish's 2gal starfire cube. Pictures inside.

ninjafish

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your new cube is gonna be just as killer as this one,i cant wait to see the thread for that tank.Theres nothing really to say about this tank thats not been said!

Haha, yes I am actually quite embarrased about the flatworm thing :)

Truth is, I have always had them. Ever since I bought my first reef tank 4 years ago. Each time I changed tanks after that, I took some of the LR with me and what you see in this 2gal cube is now all that I have left. I have read as much about flatworms as anyone else, but only after seeing a photo did I realize that they, and the little things I saw on my rocks, were the same thing! From how people talked about them, I always imagined flatworms as a cross between a rabid bristleworm and a fire-breathing nudibranch :P

They have never bothered anything in my tank and I always just saw them as added diversity... now that I know what they are though, they will shortly be extinct. A buddy is lending me some 'flatworm exit' and I plan on treating the tank and doing an immediate water change, followed by water changes each day for a few days, just to make sure it is nice and clean. I plan on taking Ike out of the tank when I do the treatment - I know that flatworm exit is supposed to be reef safe but I don't want to chance it with the toxins or nitrates released by dead flatworms...

- Chad

Fish, first off i have to give you my compliments on your reef movies they were very nicely done it really makes me want another mantis and your tank is outrageous i love it very nice!! :D

i totally relate to the flatworm problem i had the same problem with pyramid snails i got them in my first tank a 20H reef moved them into my 180 then to my 90 and now there in my 30 arghhh

well just wanted to say thanks for sharing the videos .i wouldnt mind seeing a cpl more in the future

You got it bro!

Infact a big change, like from a 2gal to a 7.5gal, is the stuff great movies are made of :P

Coming soon to a theater near you.

- Chad

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pili and yes, I hope that the frogspawn fits in the new tank a little better :P .

Here is a link to the thread for my new tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...topic=71625&st=

Everyone, please stop by and give your input.

Cheers,

- Chad

ps - All of the flatworms in my tank experienced a sudden, and fatal tragedy over the weekend. The involvement of something called "Flat Worm Exit" is suspected. Poor little buggers.

• 1 year later...

SoCal,

Dude, a lot has happened since my last post. I set up the 12" cube and it was extremely successful and a much better size for Ike too. I have a video of that tank in my signature.

The next thing that happened was I got moved out of the office and back to a position in the field, so I had to bring the aquarium home. I didn't really have a place for it at home, and was itching to restore an old Honda motorcycle so I sold everything...

... now that would have been the end, but I have since come to my senses and am working on building a new system. This one is much more conventional so don't expect anything amazing, but it would be cool if you stopped by to check it out.

Oh ya, I have already spoken to the current owner of Ike and he said he is willing to sell him back to me. Right on, Ike's coming home B) .

- Chad

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

Just before I picked up Ike, his owner informed me that he had died :o . I feel kinda bad, if I had known that he was that old, I should have kept him - you know, right up to the end...

Also,

A friend just brought it to my attention that an online company is using a photo of my 12" cube to advertize on their website:

http://ac-nc.com/Saltwater_Aquarium_Products.htm

The funny thing about it, is that is probably the worst picture I took of that tank - it was back when I first set it up and the corals had not yet filled in, and I had not moved it to the hole in the top of the desk so it is leaning against the wall, half off the desk. The moral of the story: Don't trust what you see on the internet, anyone can copy and paste and make themselves look like a legitamate business.

Here is the email I sent them:

Hello,

It has been brought to my attention that you are using a photo of an aquarium, that I "Designed : Built : Maintained" to advertise on your site. The fact that you are using it for a commercial venture without getting permission or giving proper recognition, bothers me a great deal. This is the photo in question:

http://ac-nc.com/images/Products_1.jpg

I took that picture while the tank was temporarily against a wall and it doesn't even look as good as the tank did when it was set up properly - I seriously doubt that any benefit derived from the false advertising will outweigh the negative attention it will get in my different threads online.

True to my word,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

- Chad

I haven't heard back from them, I guess we'll see if they bother to reply. I wouldn't be surprised if they just quietly remove the photo though...

= Chad

The photo is still there. Maybe they were gone for the new year and haven't checked email yet. Then again, maybe they don't check email at all. It seems I'm constantly finding businesses that spend money on nice websites, yet fail to respond to email inquiries.

Of course, who knows if this business is legit. Did they create all those tanks, or did they just snag the photos?

I haven't heard back from them, I guess we'll see if they bother to reply. I wouldn't be surprised if they just quietly remove the photo though...

= Chad

• 1 month later...

Everything has been straightened out.

By way of update,

I have changed my username to the same one that I use on the other board. Hope it doesn't mess anyone up too bad :P

- Chad

• 5 months later...
chaostactics

So I was just going to give this awesome thread a bump along with four other things.

1. Curses to you, you've robbed me of many hours that should have been used for studying for my organic chem course as I read this thread though all the way.

2. Scratch number one. AWESOME job on such an art piece

3. I took a look at the site with the stolen photo, though I can't seem to find a link to it on the site. So maybe they have stopped using it but this link

http://ac-nc.com/images/Products_1.jpg is still active and takes you to the photo so I can't tell if they've stopped using it or not. Just thought I'd say something.

4. I would love to "borrow" your design one day and use your idea here when i get the money... my idea is this. Cannister filter = awesome I've always loved them ran a 55 gal mixed reef on two fluval 400 series for a while. Any way the thought is this. At what ever lever you have your cheato at cut a window into your cannister and install a piece of glass (will prevent fading) then instead of having bulbs on the inside, run a more universal and more easily found PC bulb on the out side. Just an idea.

Great job again!

Archived