Coral Vue Hydros

Fans or no fans?

SeaFish

I was wondering, for my 12 gallon acrylic tank with a hood that i house with two 32 watt retrofit power compact form custom sealife. Would i need a fan to cool the area in teh canopy ? there is an opening of about 2inches in height and 20 inches in wide in the back of teh hood? do i still need a fan in there to cool the two 32 watt lighting system? If i need a fan, what size fan? and also, this tank is in my room, so i need a fan taht runs quietly and is long lasting. any suggestions? if there are dependable clip on fans, that be even better too. The two 32 watt power compact is screw into the top of the canopy. the light bulbs itself is about 1.5-2 inches away from teh surface of my acrylic plate covering the water. As mention above, the light is not expose to open water. please adivse me on this area. Thank you all in advance

I read all through your post and was all primed to respond... AND THEN, I looked at the bottom of your post and read your sig...

"Temperature at a constant 76 degrees F "

Um, no you don't need a fan in your hood

(does the red stuff in your thermometer EVER move?.... maybe it's stuck... check it out and if it's fine I stick by my original answer, if it's like broke... come back and post with the new temps AND THEN I'll tell you what I was GONNA say,hehe)

hey glazer thank you for ur response. my temperature flucturate from 76-78 depending on teh kind of day. but majority of the time it stays at 76. i guess the temp stays low becuase i only keep turn on the lights at night. i am a college students so i am rarely home unless night time. =). the thing is, i dont know if my lights are heating up too much. i dont want something to go wrong like the post about the aquarium fire. hopefully all my things are connected properly since i follow directions to every word. well...let me know what u think.

so you tank stays at a constant 76F. is that when you test it at nite time? since you said you are home at nite but you are at school during the day. people you recommend air to blow out the hot air trapped between the water surface and the light since it heats up the tank.

yes, when i look at the temp at night its about 78 C, but when iam away in school (like right after i come home), it is around 76 C. should i purchase a fan? if so, what is the best and most quiet?

like glazer says and hubu alludes, if your tank's at the right temp (76F) you really don't need a fan.

otoh you may want to have one handy around spring time tho just in case. if you keep the room cool then it shouldn't be that critical as the ambient temp will help/hurt tremendously on nanos.

Archived