Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with setup

Lacrosseboss18

Lacrosseboss18

Hello everyone, I am interested in setting up a 7-gallon bow nano-reef. I have somewhat of an idea of the types of corals i want to keep but i am new to the hobby. Freshwater has been good to me and now i wanted to tackle something a little harder.

1. I know lighting is extremely important so what ligh should i get for this tank. I hear a lot of people get the 2 32W. Is this best?

2. What type of filtration should i use? I know it comes with its own is this enough or so u use something else.

3. What type of air jets work best do i need one or 2 and also where should i place them so they will work best.

4. i have somewhat of an idea of the corals i would like only by how they look i dont know if it will all work together but here it is

pink open brain coral

sun coral orange

colt coral

lemnalia

green polyps

brown polyps

anthelia or creeping Xenia

White Xenia or Pom Pom Xenia

Yellow Finger

Jeweled or lavender mushroom anemone

Red Mushroom anemone

Blue mushroom anemone

Green mushrooms

Finger leathers

Red blastomussa Merletti

Super green welsophy

Fiji green moonstone

Bulb anemone

Feather dusters (fan)

Toadstool leather

Candy coral

I will pick some depeding on what the store has.

5. As far as inhabitans how does this sound

blue legged hermit crabs

astrea Turbo snail

skunk cleaner shrimp

peppermint shrimp

blood shrimp

percula clown

I dont plan to get so many shrimp but i am looking into all them.

6. My most important question is would it be a major problem if the tank was moved. Like if i was the change where i lived would be be a problem to relocate it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help a newbe out.:)

Hey, welcome to nano-reef. Your best bet is to look around in the members' section- there are a lot of 7g bows to give you an idea. Also use the search feature, there are a lot of old threads with tons of info.

Originally posted by Lacrosseboss18

1. I know lighting is extremely important so what ligh should i get for this tank. I hear a lot of people get the 2 32W. Is this best?

That lighting would be excellent.

2. What type of filtration should i use? I know it comes with its own is this enough or so u use something else.

Liverock and powerheads.

3. What type of air jets work best do i need one or 2 and also where should i place them so they will work best.

Air jets?

4. i have somewhat of an idea of the corals i would like 5. As far as inhabitans how does this sound

That's quite a list for 7g. Stay away from the sun coral. It's non-photosynthetic and requires special feeding. Wait a while before tackling that one. Stick to softies at first. Stony corals require higher water quality and calcium support. Button or star polyps would be good. Xenia, any of the leathers, mushrooms, all good choices to start with. The percula clown is a good choice in fish, and I'd go with a skunk cleaner for a shrimp.

6. My most important question is would it be a major problem if the tank was moved. Like if i was the change where i lived would be be a problem to relocate it.

It's a pain in the arse, but very doable. You'll always risk loosing some livestock, but it's been done.

Lacrosseboss18

Thank you very much for the feedback i will look into it more. Now i know where to go from now. How much life rock and what type of power head do u think i shoul get.

Thank you again.

Joey

For liverock, about 10lbs should do you nice. Powerhead doesn't much matter, just steer clear of the Rios. Can't go wrong with a Maxijet.

Are you in the city or upstate? Check out the NYC thread in the Lounge. They'll be some prime brain pickin' going on.

Archived