Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

question of new lighitng (urgent)

SeaFish

hi, its really not emergency urgent, but my girlfriend will be gettting the lighting either tomorrow morning or afternoon. so need as much input on this as possible. thank you all in advance. are there any power compact lightings that can fit a 20in(length) and maybe 12in in width canopy hood that is not a retrofit lighting system? I want at least 64 watts like what i have currently (50/50lighting). Anyone know any good dependable companies or places that i can ordre such lights if it exist? I am asking because my girlfriend is in the process of getting into this hobby and i dont want her to use retrofit system due to the danger it has on short circuiting. Please help, it is very urgent. Thank you all.

printerdown01

Retro fits are quite safe! I don't know why everyone is saying that they are so dangerous in the past 2 days!! Follow directions! The manufactures like to avoid law-suits as much as you would like to avoid having your house burn down! If you read Fish04's post and are now freaked know that he DIDN'T use a shoddy DYI job!!

Last night my lights started smoking and we were very near a full blown fire by the time I got them turned off. My wife is totally freaked out now, so I have to dismantle every thing and sell it back to the store. .....My setup was profesionally made and I still had this problem.
I completely trust CSL Retros! Why, for one they are an excelent lighting company and second they have a HUGE name to protect. If they were to sell a crappy system it would kill their reputation that they worked so hard to gain in this hobby. Just don't pull any short-cuts in the job and you will be fine! When you do a DYI electrical job make sure you either use electrical tape or saran wrap under the wire-nuts for extra safty! You would probably be fine without them, but it is wiser to use them!. I havn't seen one DYI lighting kit that required prior electrical knowledge, it is like building a Lego castle -follow directions... If you decide to stray away from a DYI job that is fine... I just don't want your post to freak out other people who are considering a DYI lighting job. Sometimes irrational fears spread like wild fire on here! Last year, everyone was pulling their DSBs out of their nanos cause someone said that it would crash the tank!! -If you follow the instructions they are just as safe as a pro job- It is electrical, it can short! People's houses do burn down from electrical fires!! And a lot of the time they are caused by the wires that have been "professionally installed" with in their walls ;). -not to make homeowners paranoid or anything-

Archived