Top Shelf Aquatics

halemida copiosa

threeiron

Does anyone know an online supplier that sells halemida copiosa? I have seen pictures which show them to much more elegant than the normal halemida that is readily available.

Also I have a 37 gallon with with an eclipse3 hood. I have a 55 watt smartlite PC retrofit which is 50/50 light. It is advertised as having three times the output of a normal flourescent. Is anyone out there running this set up? Do you know what my limitation will be in terms of corals that require good lighting? So far I have mushrooms, green star polyps, and a tree coral (can't determine if it is capnella or cladiella or alcyonium) which appear to be doing very well. My tank has been running for about 2 months now.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Your spelling of Halimeda is slightly off there. If you use Halimeda Copiosa in a google search several of the top links are all online sales of it.

P.S. I take that back, several of them look to be fake plants, you may have to dig a little to find live sellers but I am sure there are some links in there that will have it.

Hope you can find some good ones! I have the normal Halimeda and like it a lot but what you are looking at is really neat.

The more I have looked into that species the more I am realizing (as you may have already) that no one really sells it except for fake versions. I wonder if it is endangered or hard to keep....

Hopefully someone else knows the facts and can chime in.

I'm not certain, but I believe the Halimeda in my 5g is of the copiosa species. However, I don't have enoguh to warrant pulling some out yet. At the rate it's growing, I could have enough within 2-3 weeks, if you're still looking by then.

Matthew

Thanks. I think I will try to look around a bit more with the right spelling. I did look in Google, but there appears to be a lot of artificial plants available but no live specimen.

You can always e-mail me if you're interested at a later time. This stuff is growing at an incredible rate now, so once it's taken up the area I've allotted for it, I'll probably always be pruning it back.

And I imagine that kind of answers your other question about how well it grows in aquariums. This tank is very low maintance, getting only the occasionally b-ionic addition (2-3 times a week).

Archived