SaltCritters.com

Lighting duration for new tank.

SaltyMember

SaltyMember

I have a a minibow 7 gal setup that has had liverock in it now for 5 days.  The rock is cured and has good coraline coverage.  I have read some conflicting info regarding light requirements for new liverock.  One source says keep lights on 10-12 hours, the other says just keep lights on for couple viewing hours per day for a week or so to let the liverock adjust to the tank.  I am leaning towards running the lights 10-12 hours to keep the coraline algae going, but I would like to hear from more experienced people.  Any input greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

ok first off u picked out a really nice tank and about ur question i would say probly about 7-9hrs,Chris:)

HI

Imo you can keep them lit for 10 to 12 hours. I have mine lit more when i get home from work than when I am not home. If you have them come on at say noon and the off at 10 things should be fine. Another option is to slowly ramp up your light ing times. Say ya start with 4 hours a day the wekk by week bring it up a hour or so until you get to the lighting cycle length you like or that you can see your tank the most when you are home. I have even in the past brokenn up my lighting cycle to meet the power company's so called cheaper rates. :D

Jeff

(Edited by Stang69 at 11:26 am on June 9, 2002)

printerdown01

I think the idea of cutting light is to cut back on the algae bloom that will inevitably take off in your tank towards the end of the cycle. If you don't mind the bloom there is no point to cutting the lighting hours. You also don't need the 10-12 hours of lighting, since you don't have corals yet...

Archived