Top Shelf Aquatics

Newbie Question on 3 gal

PFB

Nano Advice, please.

I am planning the following:

Eclipse System 3 with filter and strip light removed.

Fabricated, glass top to keep evaporation minimal.

Small. 50 Watt submersible heater.

JBJ sub-compact fluorescent, 18 watt clip on, 10000K and Blue – Clip removed and rest on glass top.

I think I will be able to fit the original “gutted” Eclipse hood on top of the JBJ enclosure.

May have room for another 9 or 13 6500K watt sub-compact (haven’t ordered JBJ yet).

Small air-stone for circulation.

3 lb. live sand, 5 lb Fuji live rock.

1.24 salinity.

No power filter, no skimmer (not much room on 3 gallon)

What do you think, will this work for soft corals?

Will the JBJ create to much heat for plastic Eclipse hood? May I need to fabricate a small, DC micro fan to back of hood?

Local aquarium store that has several nice 2.5 and 5 gal reefs set ups recommend no skimmer, just frequent water changes. They also recommend not testing water, they claim to many folks create problems by “over-correcting” with over dose of chemicals. They also don’t recommend additives, as long as you are disciplined with your water changes.

Responses are appreciated as this is my 1st attempt at a nano. I have 13 years of salt water experience (non-reef).

Appreciate all your help.

printerdown01

Everything looks pretty good! I agree with your LFS in that most newbies tend to over correct with chems. As chem levels build up MUCH faster in nanos (a lot of people OD too!). Once you get to know your tank, additives can be a serious benifit. I would do a 10% water change every week if I were you... You shouldn't have any problems with the 18W melting the hood (could if the ballast IS the end cap... like my 15W, but I think you will be just fine)!! One comment. Ditch the air stone... personally I would go with the SMALLEST power head you can find. If you want to, break a couple of blades... this will make it less efficient... I use a rio 90 to pump water into my fuge (2.5 gallons) and it appears to be fine. I see if you can find something under 90 gallons per hour... If you can go for it! What are other people using in their 3 gallons around here??? Sounds like it will be a great set-up, and it will work VERY well for soft corals by the way :happy: ....

zoo med micro jets (mp 10, I think). Its only about 50 gal per hour max and you can adjust the flow rate lower. Heres a link micro pumps ;After the link, just go to submersible pumps, and zoo med under manufacturer, it will come up on next screen.

you just rattled off everything I did for my first nano.

which still exists... it even still exists in the member's section

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=4413

I have a 3 gallon eclipse with 18 watt JBJ and a 13 watt clip light from the hardware store. I use a small heater and a minijet. I took out the filter, and made a lexan top to keep evaporation out. I even posted how to make the lid either on here or ReefCentral not too long ago. I'll send you pics and more details if you want.

Oh, yeah. I should have also mentioned that I was thinking about just using a 5 gallon glass tank or something now because I think it would be a lot easier to scrape algae, modify, etc...

Go with a 10 gal., then if you ever upgrade to larger like a 20, you can use the 10 as a sump maybe or use it to display your prized issue of "Barely Legal" magazine.

Good advice guys.

Printerdown01, checked out your site, nice 12 gal.

Korbin, also saw your 3 gal. and 12, nice as well!

I picked up some Swift Creek “sand” from my LFS. Very cheap, only $4 per 5 lb., they said it is really very fine, crushed coral. Any thoughts on how well this stuff will work? – I do intend on seeding it with sand from several other reef tanks.

Also, I know there have been many posts on this one, but thought I would ask again since there appears to be some conflict. After purchasing cured, established live rock, should it be put in the tank with lights on or off? I personally wouldn’t think live rock would actually need any light and could wait until I placed the 1st coral in the tank? Thought I would put the live rock in along with some snails and crabs and wait at least a month to see how things go. Also thinking of placing a small air-stone driven skimmer in tank, just for this initial month? Also, 50% water changes every 2 weeks? Most posts indicate this is all SOP….

Thanks again.

Archived