Innovative Marine Aquariums

King-Kong's 10g

King-Kong

Yesterday, after 2 months, I added the first fish to my 10g nano. A sixline wrasse.

01-20-05-TANK-6LINE.jpg

the tank has a xenia hitchiker (which has grown quite a bit from this: http://d3f.org/misc/fish/xenia-12-04.jpg in 1 month)

GSP which are 1.5 weeks old (99% of the polyps are out, now im waiting on full extension

A Kenya Tree frag (was given free by LFS, has doubled in size since I got it).

and some green hairy mushrooms which have nearly trippled in size since leaving the LFS (http://d3f.org/misc/fish/01-08-05-N...ALS-shroom2.jpg).

My lighting is basic: 28 watts PC and 15 watts NO. Both 50/50.

I modified an AC500 to use as a fuge (http://d3f.org/misc/fish/01-10-05-fuge3.jpg).

24lbs mixed LR (gulf+pacific) and 20lbs LS.

Couples hermits, handful of nassarius.

The tank is pretty much done as far as im concerned. The rest will be maintenance and getting the corals to grow. In one year, depending on how motivated I still am (and financially capable), i will upgrade to a 48" tank of some unknown volume.

go go nanos!

That looks good, much different from most that are out there. You may say it's done, but one day you might walk by a fish store and start the impulse coral buys. We all do,

that rock came from a LFS. They only had a few pieces, and they called it "show rock", though i personally believe it came from someones established, and broken down tank.

the fish store has never had any more, but based on the life on it, and its size and density, i am sure its gulf rock, but from who, no idea.

sorry, and thanks :)

Originally posted by warrior_boy

is that 3 aiptasia anenome's I see?

everyone always says that, but they are infact cup corals, a native species of the Gulf of Mexico.

They have a calcified base and are slow growers. I have around 10 on the rock and I love them.

King-kong,

Did you get that rock from Ocean's Exotic (Aqutecture)? If so I belive cich1 is right, that the show rock they used to keep seperate from the rest of their live rock came from Triton Marine (liverocks.com).

Obviously, I am in Gainesville as well. Are you a member of the local reef club? Its not a very active club (to say the least), but some of the people have some sweet tanks. You should check it out.

Jay

yeah jhupp, exactly.

I dont know where it came from, but if you knew it was a liverocks.com source i guess that's right, then. I just know from looking at the species on it that its a gulf rock (as all other gulf aquaculture companys sell rock w/ the same species).

I am not a member of the club, this is my first salt setup and ive only had it for 2 months. I saw the GNV Reef site, but it was really empty w/ little to no recent posts. Do you have any more info?

I joined in Sept when I started my setup, and there hasn't been a whole lot of activity since then. But there are two forums, an old one and a new one. Here is the url for the new one, http://www.gnvreef.org/phpBB2/, in case it was the old one you ran across. But, like I said before it is not very active. Ocean's Exotic post sales on the forum, so that is nice.

Like I said before, I think liverocks.com is where that came from, but I don't know for sure.

Jay

• 1 month later...

Small Update:

Added a pink skunk (dont worry, thats it for the tank) who has been doing very well. Eats everything i throw at it, and it seems that my sixline has now started eating my New Life Spectrum Thera+ after watching the new skunk (aptly named Peppy) who was seen chowing down on it.

03-08-05-full-tank---skunk-.jpg

I am considering moving this 10g to a 20g that i have laying around, but I am concerned about the increase in height in relation to my lighting, and how this might affect my corals (i am already running very little lighting, though having good growth rates).

axxis@siscom.net

It's hard to believe you got 24 pounds of live rock into that 10G tank and still have that kinda room.....looks great!

I BARELY got 16 pounds of live rock into my 12G NanoCube and it's crowded as heck with Live Rock....not much open space at all....

Rick

it also depends on the density of the rock

some rocks are more porous than others, takin up more space and weighing less

nice skunk...im gunna bet getting a pair for my 20L

Archived