Cultivated Reef

More setup questions

LSUtiger

Ok, I have a few more questions before I am up and running.

I have the 7G AGA Bowfront.

1) I installed the CSL 32 retro. Do I need to waterproof anything? The light is sitting above the glass on the existing hood. Is the glass enough protection from getting water up where the lights are?

2) Should I put electirical tape around the caps where the wires from the ballast and light are connected?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to burn my house down. The wife wouldn't like that too much.

3) Will I get enough oxygen exchange if I only have disruption at the water surface due to my aquafuge? There will be a minijet 404 pumping to the refugium. I will have a second minijet in the tank, but I was going to place it under the pump to the fuge, so it will be closer to the bottom of the tank rather than the surface.

4) What else am I missing? (there's an open-ended question) I hope to set up this Sunday. I will be using the Albertson's A+ water (i think). I've got my sand ready to go, and when I'm at Albertson's I'll pick me up some shrimp to throw in the tank. I have my test kits, but I do not have any additives. I've seen some people mention that they dose with certain chemicals. Does everyone do this?

I'll add a detrivore kit to the tank once I have cycled and added some live rock.

thanks in advance for all the help/advice.

Mark

I can only respond to the additives question - I wouldn't add any additives during the cycling period. After cycling is finished, do a search on "additives", and you'll pull up at least 70 posts that talk about them.

Good luck!

Ross

1. ? (haven't seen the retro kit)

2. Electrical tape around the connectors can't hurt.

3. As long as something is disrupting the water surface, you should be okay.

4. Got salt? Heater? Thermometer? Specific gravity measuring device? Fan(s) to deal with possible excess heat from the lighting?

Skip the shrimp, unless you plan on eating it yourself. Just use live rock to cycle the tank.

No, not everyone doses stuff... most do, I think. All I use is Boyd's iodide and B-Ionic. I didn't add anything during the cycling period.

OTOH, I can think of instances where you might want to dose calcium during cycling -- if you get lots of halimeda on your rock, for example.

Where are you getting your live rock from?

printerdown01

1) If you have glass seperating the tank and the lights you should be just fine! Don't freek out you will probably notice a little salt creap... This doesn't mean that you lights are getting soaked...

2) Honestly I use Saran Wrap, under my wire nuts. This seems to be more effective at keeping moisture out than electricians tape. And I have never had a problem with it melting (couple of people have asked me about this in the past. I used it on both of my 32W CSL retros.

3)

Will I get enough oxygen exchange if I only have disruption at the water surface due to my aquafuge? There will be a minijet 404 pumping to the refugium. I will have a second minijet in the tank, but I was going to place it under the pump to the fuge, so it will be closer to the bottom of the tank rather than the surface.

Honestly I don't know. When you set the tank up, just look at the surface of the water, if it is really moving, there is enough ;).

4) Comment on the Albertson's water... If you have Albertson's then do you have Ralph's?? They carry a Sparkletts product called "Crystal Fresh." This is the purest supermarket water I have found in So. Cal. I still use water conditioner (more out of habit than anything).

And a comment about the additives. Unless you are going to be keeping SPS right off the bat, I don't see a reason for additives. Nebies seem to get into more trouble with these than anything. Wait a couple of months after your tank has cycled before you add anything. Simple 10% water changes will keep trace elements up! By this point you will have a "feel" for the tank (this is the best way I can describe it). Essentially you will know what everything is supposed to look like.

I'll add a detrivore kit to the tank once I have cycled and added some live rock.

Try to get the rock in as SOON as possible... As for a clean up crew, these guys can be added a lot sooner than most people think. I would recommend adding a snail or two approx 2 weeks after the rock (rock should preferably be added the first day, but if it can't happen it can't happen). The early introduction of a couple of astreas will help out when your tank starts becoming an algae breeding ground! -hope this helps

> Gobies, how often do you dose your iodide?

I usually add six or so drops 2-3 times a week. (I'd calculated the suggested dose for a 10g before I bought the stuff, but I've forgotten what it is.)

I started adding the iodide because I had a xenia in there. It melted, but I just got into the habit of dosing it, so....

Originally posted by gobies

> Gobies, how often do you dose your iodide?

I usually add six or so drops 2-3 times a week. (I'd calculated the suggested dose for a 10g before I bought the stuff, but I've forgotten what it is.)

I started adding the iodide because I had a xenia in there. It melted, but I just got into the habit of dosing it, so....

go by the directions on the bottle. each brand has different dosing. one will say 3-4 drops per gallon, another will say 2 drops per gallon etc. The truth is, if you do water changes frequently ( once a week at 10-15%) and you don't have a high number of trace element dependent critters (example - 8 large branches of xenia and two leathers in a 7 gallon) than you might not need to add trace elements. I think people tend to overdo it a bit when it comes to additives ( I know I have). Add chemicals with great caution and care.

Archived