inTank Media Baskets

Comments/Suggestions for new set up

rano

Hi. First post, just registered. I found the site a few days ago and am so glad I did. I've already found a ton on information that'll help me in the next few weeks/months. So, already, thanks.

Years ago my first SW tank was a 10 with a skilter, a powerhead, and eggcrate holding the first 9watt pc's I'd ever seen outta the drink. With some caribbean live rock and close attention to everything, I kept my lfs owner shaking his head, amazed at the luck I was having with such a small tank. "For salt, the smallest possible is a 30," is what he'd tell me. The only thing I ever lost in it was a bubble coral.

Over the years I kept moving to bigger tanks, and it's never been an improvement. Worse results, much bigger mess. Ack! Then I found this site. WOOHOO!! Exactly the inspiration I needed. I'm downsizing.

So, here's a breakdown of what I've planned. I'd like to hear your opinions on it. GREEN LIGHT TO SMACK THE NEW GUY :P

Intent: Simple to maintain (must accommodate capabilities of pet sitters who don't currently 'get' overflows and siphons) home for colt, frogspawn, 'shrooms, clams, and a small fish or two.

Tank: 20L AG

Lights: twin 55 pc's (1 10k, 1 actinic) from AHsupply with 2 nine pc's for dawn/dusk duty.

Rock: From current 50 gallon. Originally fiji, with plenty of coralline growth. But the guy who had it prior to me killed off most of the life inside it trying to end an aiptasia outbreak. I'm 'reseeding' with some new pieces of carribean plant rock from lfs. Unfortunately, when I got it home and put it in a holding tank, I realized it wasn't cured. So, it'll be cycling for a while, til it's done stankin' up the joint.

Sand: mix of sugar size sand, and some slightly larger gravel from the 50. The 20L doesn't lend itself to a deep bed, and my little 10 did great as a barebottom setup. So, I'm just not so inclined to go beyond an inch or so's depth. Several threads in these forums helped convince me this wasn't such a wreckless path.

Pieces/Parts: 2 maxi jets, an ebo 100, and an hob for carbon and phosguard. No sump, no skimmer (this makes me a little nervous), a small fan to cool off the lights on timer with lights.

Routine: Weekly waterchanges. Monthly media swaps. Twice weekly tests for ph, dkh, calcium.

Questions: What else should I test for? What should I plan on dosing? What's missing? What's gonna give me trouble?

TIA,

Rano

Nice work rano, you're a nano pioneer! You should be helping us out. You're plan sounds fine to me. I'd suggest B-Ionic to maintain buffering capacity and calcium, has worked great for me with minimal cost and effort.

Don't sweat the skimmer. I'm running without one and the water's crystal clear without a trace of nitrate...ever. Good luck and let us know how you progress.

I cant smack ya around..... ya posted with intelegence DESPITE the thread title :P At first I was like.... OHHH YEAHHHH Blowtorch in hand.... "DO A SEARCH !" but ya made me reply with relief instead.

damn man, damn damn damn.. LOL

look around at some setups in "members tanks" area and hit "10 gal nanos" and what not in the search query... ya will have a LOT to read HAHHA.

ttyl

PS: im the sarchastic jerk here.. Crakeur is quickly becoming a close second.. :D

Archived