Top Shelf Aquatics

This setup any good?

chrisblore

chrisblore

I live in the UK and over here it is quite difficult to get good quality marine aquarium supplies at a bargain price. I have managed to locate a supplier of nano setups who appear to be quite well respected in the UK. They label their aquaria as "Micro Reefs" and have recently setup a coral farming operation here in the UK so they look as though they know what they're doing. What I'd like to know is, would the following setup be suited to a nano: 9 Gallon tank with refugium/sump, Premium Fiji live rock, a few mangroves for the refugium, live sand substrate and compact 20K lamp. What would you recommend as stock for this aquarium and would the above be suitable for a few corals as well? The site can be found at: http://www.s-t-m.co.uk

Thanks

Chris

Hey!!!  Welcome to Nano-reef.com !!!

I live here in the UK as well!  What part of the UK are you in?  I live in London.

Assuming you are going for a reef setup:

You can keep a percula clown fish in there easy.

I wouldnt really add any more fish than this.

I think you already know that you will need the various critters as well.

One thing though; whats the watts on that light set?

You mention a 20K colour temp, thats fine, but the watts is also important.  You need at least 36 watts on that tank.

More is good.

Depending on the watts as a very basic rule, a 4-5 watts per gallon and you can keep corals such as mushrooms and polyps, and perhaps a few other soft corals.

The setup sounds good but you need to clarify the wattage of your lighting.

The more watts (intensity) the more range of corals you can keep.  hope that helps somewhat.

PS, WHERE did you manage to get the Powe Compact lighting from???  I really want Power Compact lighting for my tank, I would appreciate it if you could tell me where you got it from/website/phone number etc and the price you paid.

Thanks.  Its really nice to meet soemone from here in the UK.

Hi Chris

I'm from the Uk and have run that exact setup for ten months now (I've been into reefs for 7 years) STM are a good LFS and would recommend them. The only thing I've recently changed is the 150 watt MH bulb - I wanted to try 10kk instead of 20kk - just personal preference.

I keep mainly SPS corals (Acropora, Seriatopora, Pocillopora etc), also with a pair of Percula clowns and a leather coral.

I think most softies would do ok also, but be careful what LPS corals you pick due to the space (stinging each other etc)

why do so many people on this board have the same name as me?  Chris its weird it must have to do with fishor sumthiing lol,Chris:)

chrisblore

Thank you all very much for your responses. Sahin: I found the details for this tank at http://www.s-t-m.co.uk

The lighting is actually part of the setup but if you contact STM, I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Do any of you have any pics of this setup in action for me to drool over?

Thanks once again

Chris Blore

Thanks.

I read the full info for the setup you bought.

It sounds quite good.  Hopefully we will be seeing pics of your magnificant tank soon?

Try again

I can't seem to get two images in the same post (perhaps someone could advise)

This photo is very early on with 20kk MH lighting. The light support is homemade/an adapted wall shelf bracket - it comes with an anglepoise type bracket from STM

First%20Pic%20A.jpg

The other one :biggrin:

This photo taken today (bit of a dull day for picture taking!)

The hood is homemade. Lighting is 10kk MH

The powerheads are from a previous setup and I'm trying them as I've read that sps corals generally prefer more current.

Front%20B.jpg

Guest AbSoluTc

That setup looks fine, however I would substitute something else for the mangroves.  Mangroves are only efficient in removing nitrates and such ONLY in LARGE numbers - 30+  for that size tank.

Archived