Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Several newcomer questions.

Kendra

Hi. I'm a newcomer to the nano-reef world. Thus far, I have a five gallon acrylic tank that is 17 1/2 in tall, 10 in wide, and 8 1/2 in deep. I realize that 5 gallons is a bit small for a first tank, but I already have it. With it came a mini penguin filter and a hood containing a 13 watt power compact light. From my research thus far I plan to add 4-5 pounds of live sand and around 7 lbs of live rock. I plan on getting a 50 watt Ebo Jager heater, and a Rio 50 powerhead. Apparently I also need a heater and powerhead for the mixed up seawater I should keep for water changes. Should I get the same caliber of equipment for that, or would cheaper models do? (I am planning to change 15% on a weekly basis.)

Also, I would like to expand my lighting. I was thinking of getting the 2X 13 watt deluxe kit from Aquarium Hobbyist Supply and building or retrofitting the hood. However, the MIRO 4 reflector that comes with the package is 17 in long. I was thinking of cutting it in half to make two reflectors for the two bulbs and mounting the bulbs side by side. Does anyone know why this would not work? I think the reflector is aluminum.

Finally, there is the question of livestock. Invertibrate wise I was thinking of 2 little hermits and 5 snails. Astrea snails have been suggested to me, but I thought it might be fun to have a mix-maybe a turbo or a bumblebee. I also thought a peppermint shrimp might be a good thing, in case I get aptasia (I hope I spelled that right.).

I have a friend who works with sea urchins. I don't know species yet, but she could give me one. In general, are urchins something wise to keep in a nano tank? I haven't noticed them in any of the member tanks.

Fishwise- Does anyone have any advice about what fish could safely be kept in such a tiny tank? My thoughts were either a single damselfish- a yellow tail or a humbug, probably, a pair? of true percula anemonefish (Is that too many?), or a pair of Blackray Shrimp Gobies (Stonogobiops nematodes) with their symbiont shrimp (Alpheus randalli). That last one I got out of a full size aquarium book- are they appropriate for a nano? They're tiny (2 in max) and gobies, which I have heard are in general less of a biological impact than other fish, but does anyone know for sure? Would make me feel better. Also, about the shrimp- I have heard that Alpheus sp. can be a nuisance (called "pistol shrimp") because their claws clacking shut can sound like gunfire! Is that true of A. randalli?

Or am I getting too big for my boots? Would it be infinitely smarter to make my first nano inhabitant a blue damsel in the interest of indestructibility?

Coralwise- Can I grow any on 1 13 watt actinic bulb? Mushrooms? Yellow polyps? Or should I wait until I have figured out and built my upgrade?

Sorry this ended up being so long. I guess I have a lot of questions. Thanks to anyone who answers.

-Kendra

Oh, by the way- I live in Bloomington, Indiana. I would love to hear from any nano keeper who lives around here. -K

harbingerofthefish

I guess first Welcome to Nano-reefs!

"I realize that 5 gallons is a bit small for a first tank..."

-hey, I have a five.

"Should I get the same caliber of equipment for that, or would cheaper models do?"

-I'm not sure if you can find cheaper models. I don't know how much an Ebo runs, but if you do find one that is adjustable for less it won't hurt to use it in the make up water, just throw in a thermometer to double check it.

" I was thinking of cutting it in half to make two reflectors for the two bulbs and mounting the bulbs side by side. Does anyone know why this would not work?"

- I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as the wiring is intact there shouldn't be a problem.

"Finally, there is the question of livestock. Invertibrate wise I was thinking of 2 little hermits and 5 snails. Astrea snails have been suggested to me, but I thought it might be fun to have a mix-maybe a turbo or a bumblebee. I also thought a peppermint shrimp might be a good thing, in case I get aptasia (I hope I spelled that right.).

I have a friend who works with sea urchins. I don't know species yet, but she could give me one. In general, are urchins something wise to keep in a nano tank? I haven't noticed them in any of the member tanks."

- I think the biggest thing about turbos is that they grow pretty large and so they can bulldoze loose rockwork. But if you have friends with tanks, toss 1 in yours and when they do grow, give them to someone else. Bumblebee's...well they look cool, but I can only speak for mine now, laaaazy. Realize they are nocturnal, so you'll never see them in the day light. Also they dig so they'll probally hide 23 hours a day too. **no exp. w/ pep. shrimp or urchins...**

On the fish and coral questions:

Your a long way from safely adding fish. Sure a damsel might survive the cycle, but poor fish. My tank is only 2 1/2 months old right now, but I'm not looking to get a fish till sometime after the new year. It's just good to make sure all the parameters in your tank are completly stable before adding a waste factory...um I mean a fish.

Same with the corals. You could have shrooms and zoo's but since your looking at either retro fitting a modified lighting system, or building a DIY hood. I would wait until all your lighting is settled before worring about it.

hope some of this helps, good luck with the tank.

Turbo snails are probably a bad idea in a small tank. I have one giant in my 7 gallon and the bastard manages to move anything that isn't glued down. I actually tossed it in my refugium (algae on the sides there) while I re-aquascaped and nailed down any loose items.

Urchins are cool as hell but, they too can get large (some stay smaller) and they will also move around and put corals, shrooms, and other such critters at risk. I would avoid them, along with the turbo and, while I'm at it, avoid anemones as well.

Everything else harbigner said is on the money.

Thanks for the prompt reply from both of you guys. Actually, on the fish thing- it's not so much that I plan on sticking one in first thing. . . it's more that I like to plan ahead, and I am not sure what is safe (and kind) to keep in such a small tank. I've looked at the fish list, but it doesn't have many specifics yet. Mostly it just says that Cardinalfish shouldn't be kept in smaller than a seven gallon. The really small member tanks seem to be a mixed bag- a pseudochromis in a 3/4 gallon (I wouldn't have believed it possible.), 2 true perculas in a 4 gallon, a pajama cardinal in a 5 (despite the objection above). The book I have (Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael, 2001) does not consider nanos, so I have been trying to figure out which fish are potentially good by which listings have the same requirements as fish I already know are kept in nanos. Hence the goby question.

Oh by the way, for when and if any other newbies add fish to a 5 gallon, here's the full list I've found so far of what people keep in their tiny tanks.

1 percula clown

2 percula clowns

purple pseudochromis (I think P.porphyreus, not P. fridmani)

3 stripe damsel (looks like a Humbug)

blue damsel (two people)

pajama cardinal

royal gramma

Also, someone else (I forget who, I'm afraid) was keeping a herd of gobies (like five, I think) in a 10 gal.

Anyhoo,

Thanks for the help, guys,

Kendra

5 gobies in a 10 gallon? Yikes.

The truth is, competition for space aside, you can keep many fish in a small area but you need to do tons of water changes to keep the bio load from crashing the tank. Two small fish that are territorial (clowns, damsels, pseudo's, etc.) in a nano may or may not work. The fish, if put into the tank together, will not have established their territory so the fighting might be minimal. However, one might become a bit more aggressive and eventually kill the other. Or, they could get along peacefully and not turn your tank into the nano version of the West Bank.

I'd reply in more depth if I could, but I'm on my way out. I jsut wanted to add that I have a yellow clown goby in my 5g, and love the little critter.

I'd personally set a limit at 1 fish in a tank so small, even if you're talking tiny fish like the clown gobies. The tank is just too damn sensitive to changes. People have kept multiple fish, I realize, and done so quite successfully. good for them, but they're living on the brink. While they keep the tank in perfect shape, it can handle the load, but as soon as one little thing goes wrong, it could set off an ugly avalance of problems.

Good luck,

Matthew

Try the Barnicle blennies that Jeff's has, they are so cool and stay really small, and you can get away with 2-3 in your small tank. As of Gobies, they are pretty much all boring. I would never put an urchin in my tank same as the reasons of Satchmo.

Definitely no urchins. Sounds like one fish- any suggestions? I admit I'm sort of a sucker for cardinalfish. . . maybe a yellowtail damsel or a cute little percula would be wiser, though. Also- does Jeff have a website? How is it listed? I would like to see/hear about these blennies.

I wish I could get started. . . I'm going to go pick up the tank at my cousin's place in November. Meanwhile, research for me. I'm sure I'll have a million more questions once my tank is set up and my live rock starts cycling.

Thanks again, to Crakeur et al,

Kendra

harbingerofthefish

okay on the fish...

yeah gobies are boring fish, but still kinda cool. and the variations...so many fish so little tank ;)

cardinals- I love pajama's but after seeing one in a LFS 72 bow...DAMN!!! This things body is like 4" around!

Clowns-for some reason I'm not into them

Psudocromis(sp is horriffic :P )-I like Springeri. Just a cool black fish.

Ahh..damsels-I like Talbot's for their coloration, but a while back I found a damsel with the basic pattern of a domino except his dot was on the top near the fin. The only thing was his body was brown and the markings were a cream color. With only 1 damsel there wouldn't be the territory thing so knock yourself out on which one to put in.

Archived