Cultivated Reef

The Burbon Glass Pico

dhoffroad

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "ridiculous" comment wasn't a negative one. I've never even thought of something like that. Ridiculous w/ a positive connotation.

In the future I'll clarify. Sweet idea tho, seriously.

peace

The previous comment was actually posted by my 2 1/2 year old son. (I have no idea how him navigated to the bottom of the page, clicked in the Reply box, typed his reply and hit enter - all while wearing socks on his hands as cat paws. He's clearly a genius!). Translated it means, roughly, "I really like your nano tank, but I like my Mommy's better." ;)

You've got more corals in your bourbon glass than I've got in my "real" tank :(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

well it's been a while but here is a pic I just took (sorry the tank is a little dirty) this will prob be the last pic of this tank since I will be taking it down VERY soon to make room for a larger tank...

Is there any way to post a list of all the materials needed to make one of those closed loop jobbies, and the instructions (for those of us who DO read them). ;)

Thanks! Since the MJ400 is meant to be submerged, did you have any problems with the powerhead overheating because it isn't submerged in water?

-H-

Originally posted by pet_doc

up next: shot glass pico ;)

To be followed by the "Drop of water Pico", populated with one pod and a piece of crushed coral. :P

well glad you all like it

as for the MJ I hav'nt touched or had any probs with the system since I started it up 7 mo ago. BTW I think the MJ is the only "power head" that could be used for this type of CLS since it has a O-ring seal...

Freak...good luck with it if you run into any questions feel free to PM me and I will see if I can help....

I constructed a CLS today using my MJ400. It didn't work though. Every tube was properly connected, and I sealed the seams with aquarium sealant. The motor was spinning, but nooooo sucking. I detached all the extra plumbing, and the powerhead was working fine. Any thoughts on what the problem was??? I will try to post the pics of the plumbing i used.

-H-

you need to PRIME your system the MJ won't just suck watter out of a tank while it is siting dry...

did you make the same thing that I did? if you did then fill up the "heater chamber" with SW and you should be good to go...

I eliminated the heater chamber. I used 3/4" hose and elbows for the entire system. When priming both the intake and output hoses, there was still no flow, however, it was trying. I think there is too much tubing in my design (made it for a 10g so the tubing is longer than your pico), and perhaps i need a stronger MJ? I'm going to take some pics and post them here tomorrow.

Was it fully primed? Did it have the water through every tube?

Check out my 10 gallon tank thread and it has a CLS that works fine. It is in the member's tank forum. It has a spot on it where you can pour the water in to get it started.

I'm posting the pic of the setup i constructed. It will be tubing only, as i am using the powerhead currently in the reef. The thread will be called '10g CLS Tubing'

-h-

Archived