Here's my suggestion for you:

20 Scarlett Hermits

20 Nassarius Snails

10 Cerith Snails

10 Astrea Snails

1 Fighting Conch

5 Emerald Crabs

5 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Starfish (which ever kind you want, I personally would avoid Serpants)

The Astrea Snails will go to town on the algae on your glass and the Cerith, Nassarius, and Conch will take care of the algae growing on the sandbed.

I diagree with Duke: 5 Emerald grabs is way to much for a 50 gallon. Go with 2 at most 3, they can be very terratorial and fight frequently. If you run out of macro algae they will die also.

As for the star fish, you cannot just get any kind you want! Many star fish sold in stores can be very dangerous in a reef, eating corals, and other inhabitants. Your safest bet would be a small linkia star fish. Stay away from sand sifting stars which have been known to depleat sand beds of bio load, and chocolate chip stars which feed on corals.

I would also recommend a skunk cleaner shrimp in exchange for one of those peppermints to help out your fish fight disease.

You're right on the amount of Emerald Crabs, I think I was confused with someone else's tank when I was typing. 2-3 is more adequate.

Regarding the starfish, I put 'get any kind you want' because Tater never specified if his tank was a reef or FOWLR.

Archived