Innovative Marine Aquariums

Its turning into a planted tank

kool_sk8a

My tank is being over run by some seaweed type algae. I guess i just accepted it at first cuz i like it but its just growing too fast now.

Is this what you call macro/micro algae?

algae.jpg

If the image doesnt work, try: This

Also is it good or bad for the tank?

How can i control it?

jenniebutterfly

looks like macro, which is very good to have, if you have a fuge and you do not like the looks of it put it in there. it will suck up the nutrients that the bad algae need to grow.

I like the look of it, its just getting out of control and covering my corals. I havent got a fuge, otherwise i would put it in there.

ive tried cutting it down but it just grows back quicker.

Do you think it is caused by high phosphates (i dont test for this)

jenniebutterfly

try getting some mexican turbos if you don't have any already. i have 2 in my 36 and if i put macro in my main tank they devour it very quickly.

be careful dude- that stuff is purely evil- like all macros- they dont stop growing until you throw something in there... jennie- you mentioned turbos as a good solution- just a question, will turbos chow on bubble caulerpa?

Originally posted by jenniebutterfly

try getting some mexican turbos if you don't have any already.  i have 2 in my 36 and if i put macro in my main tank they devour it very quickly.

I have turbo's but they dont seem to be eating it, maybe they're not the mexican ones?

how can i tell?

jenniebutterfly

it may be a type they do not like. it was just a suggestion in hopes that they would eat it. i have never tried to give my snails caulerpa, but i did get a coral with some feather caulerpa and they ate that, but i never introduced any on purpose to my tank. if the snails did not work for it, then about all you can do is pull it off, or put your rock with a bubble stone and heater into a sealed storage box. no light should kill it off eventually.

Today i saw my hermit crab eating a little bit. I have 4 in a 12gal, do u think i should get some more? would they help keep the amount of macro down?

I have found that my emerald crabs do a good job of keeping the algae in check. I had a problem with Caulerpa but when I added some more emeralds to my tank they seemed to take care of it.

Originally posted by brlegend

I have found that my emerald crabs do a good job of keeping the algae in check.  I had a problem with Caulerpa but when I added some more emeralds to my tank they seemed to take care of it.

I have heard that, but i think that one would be too aggressive in such a small tank.

How long have you had yours and in what size tank?

I belive that is sargassum. I have some in my tank from my fiji rock. I like the look of it, and i let it grow and when a plant gets too big, i just pluck it and throw it out. I dont have a whole lot of corals yet so it makes the tank a little more interesting for now. I have had it for 6 months with no problems now. I have "nuked" areas where i plucked with kalk as a test, and it doesnt come back at that spot. Also, unlike cauplera, it doesnt seem to spread to sand so i dont think its too hard to exterminate completely

In my opinion adding snails may help remove the macro but in turn they will release the waste that makes up the macro right back into your system. I feel that the best way to have macros is to trim them. Then toss the waste in the trash.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I like it. Just trim it and see something natural in your tank. I think the species is called....Sargassum hystrix. It ranges from the tropical West Atlantic. And supposedly it is a very aggressive grower! The normal stipe length is about 16 inches. Good for you to have a neat macro algae.

Archived