Pod Your Reef

Pili's 40g Breeder

Pili4444

handpicking LR is a lot better than getting a "mystery grab bag"

when i was stocking my VA18g, i bought LR up in LA, kept it in a box w/wet newspapers for 2 days and drove back down to SD.

the rocks were unsubmerged in water, but kept "moist" ... anyways, i would suggest u to handpick your stuff, it makes the world of a difference :)

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think thats what i'm going to do. I told my dad about it and he seemed pretty excited so i'm probebly going to go Easter break. In the mean time i'll start transfering things over from my other tank.

I had much the same dilemma when choosing where/how to get my live rock. I went with the online grab bag, and I'm not sorry I did.

I would have preferred to hand pick my own, but I wasn't finding much to pick from locally. I considered a four hour drive to premium aquatics but I went with an e-bay vendor.

Go to Dr. Mac's!!!!!! I had my rock come from him and I love it. Don't you get the new tank discount from him, too? I know that was the only way I was able to add so many cool acros and SPS to my tank. It's well worth the trip, if only to see all of his coral and that incredible facility he setup last summer. ;) Good luck convincing the parents to do the drive, though.

I finally got around to updating everyone:P. I moved everything from my nano cube to the 40g on tuesday and so far everything seems to be doing great. All the corals are already showing much more color under the MH and the fish are having fun in all the new space.

I am going down to Dr. Macs on easter weekend to get about 50lbs. more LR and i'll probebly get the cleanup crew while i'm there too and just stick them in the tank. I am going to cycle the LR in a seperate containter and then put it in the tank.

As far as aquascaping, i think that i want to do an ~ shape to really show off the depth of the tank but I will of course change it as i go.

I still need to sort out the autotop off and get a seio pump but other wise i dont have many more things to do.

Here are some pics (the mini jet temporary until i can get hte other pump):

1045140g_1st_days_001_cropped.jpg

1045140g_1st_days_005cropped.jpg

I just picked up another false perc today. I wouldnt have ordinarly gotten a new fish being that the tank is still new but i didnt want the first clown to get to settled so that there would be the least amount of fighting.

They seemed to take to each other right away and the new one is eating well. I dont know if this is good or bad but a few times, the old clown went up to the new clown and made a short spasm (sp?) type movement. Anyone know what this is?

Here are a few pics.

10451boder.jpg

1045140g_1st_days_011.jpg

1045140g_1st_days_012.jpg

1045140g_1st_days_016-med.jpg

Another shot that i liked.

1045140g_1st_days_017.jpg

the clown was probably trying to show off or mark its territory- they often shake their bodies and display brighter colors- much like cichlids.

Yes! that spazam you saw is a display. Cichlids do it ALL THE TIME! As well as livebearer fish and well pretty much any fish LOL. My Texas cichlid displays to me when i get close to the tank LOL.

It's looking good, phil. I'm jealous of your actual tank since it's the one I wanted. No space in the apartment for it, though. :( That wrasse looks really nice, too.

I cant wait until i get the rest of the LR and get it in the tank. I think that it will look 10 times better once that happens but i'm pretty pleased with it right now.

My six line jumped and I didnt find him in time to save it and i had to flush him.

I guess i need to get a top now. Does anyone have any suggestions like egg crate or something like that? I really dont want this to happen again.

Thanks

Pili

hey man sorry about the fish. if you can get black eggcrate i like that more than the typical white stuff. it doesnt have as much glare imo and hides better if your tank has a black trim

i use black window screen over my little 10g breeder. you cant see it at all. the only thing you need to do is turn the edges over with something so it is weighted down. if a fish does jump its not gonna get hurt by hard plastic. Its also super easy to remove because it can just be folded back so you can do maintance on your tank.

Man. That sucks. That's kinda why I was hesitant w/ the wrasses... And it sucks because I love firefish, too. And they're notorious. Eggcrate would probably be the easiest and best thing to use. Just have to cut it to fit around your overflow and pipes... :| You'd have to weight it down, too. I'd suggest even just staying away from jumping fish since tops can look pretty "ghetto" for lack of a better word. Sorry for your loss, man. I remember what it was like to find fish on the floor when I was a little kid. :(

I'll probebly just use some eggcrate. I dont mind the ghetto look outside of the tank just not inside so I think that would be the best option.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaving tomorrow to go down to Dr. Macs. Yay:). I will be back saturday afternoon with the LR (and maybe a few corals: ). I will post pics once i get back.

I also though of an idea to prevent jumping. I am going to basically build a wood canopy with out a top and line the inside with plexi. It will be 1ft high and surround the entire tank. Hopefully this should be high enough that if a fish does jump, they wont make it over the top.

Archived