ReefCleaners.org

Pili's 40g Breeder

Pili4444

Kogut: Is the Faucet adapter easy to get or is it something that i would have to order specificly for the RO/DI?

BTW: Actually, the 40g is not alot more expensive than the 20g. When i was still deciding on which tank to choose and i did the numbers, the only major differences were the LR/LS and actual tank/stand. I would have used most of the same components on either tank.

Thanks the compliments

ReefMonkeee: The problem with doing that is that my cold water is just that, very cold, so the RO/DI would work at half the efficiency then using warm water.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually not yet, i was going to do it last sunday but i got distracted by the superbowl, lol. I'll have it up though by sometime this weekend, hopefully.

AWESOME TANK!! this is the exact same tank i want but i'm going to get it in acrylic... i'll be following this thread closely to see your progress.

what are you going to run as a sump? 20L?

edit: w/ur dims and this website your tank comes out to around 44.88 gallons, is that correct?

i was under the impression that the correct dimensions were:

36L x 15W x 16H with 37.40 gallons as shown here from Jeff's Exotic Fish

but then i guess that's why it's called a 40 "breeder"... is this in fact different from the "40 show" ? can someone clarify that for me?

For the sump i'm just using a 20H with 2 simple baffles.

I really dont know why AGA says the tank is 40g, i put the dimensions into the calc. also and it said it was 45g so i guess it is more than advertised.

BTW: nice new avatar:P

this tank will be awesome, definately my next tank when i move into a house and out of this teeny apartment.

the difference between a 40 "show" and a "breeder" is the width. the show is like 15 inches and the breeder is 18 i think

hmm, yea i guess more is better though... it's like a 5g surprise! :P

good luck, post up some more pix when u get more stuff :)

thanks for the clarification SLO, this will also be my "upgrade tank" for sure; im in the process of looking for one to be made in acrylic

I just got the light up but no pics yet. It was a little bit of a PITA but its all good and i will have some pics tomarrow once i get it level and adjusted.

Have you fille dthe tank with water yet/ Does it bow in the middle? I have a buddy with the same tank and his only complaint is his fear of how much it bulges due to no brace in the center

I havent filled it up yet b/c i havent found a faucet adapter for my RO/DI system yet and i still have to do some of the PVC work but i hope it doesnt bulge.

Where does it bulge?

ive never heard of them bowing in the center. if he is worried he could get a strip of glass and silicone it in or, get triangle pieces of glass and silicone them into the corners. i had one way back when and it never bowed.

anyway, fill its lookin good man. now GET IT FILLED UP!!

it will bow if its not sitting exactly straight and balanced- i had a 29 gallon that bowed b/c i was a lazy-sob and didnt use a leveler b/f i filled it up w/ water- as soon as i stuck shims in the bottom- the bow dissapeared- pili- cant wait to see it up and runnin- i will have pics up soon once i get my 40 going as well....

adamjonpeterson

With those baffles being as tall as they are is that sump going to be able to handle the overflow of the tank? Just wanted to make sure you had measured it all out first.

The baffles should be able to handle the flow. The first is about.1.5 in. from the the top and the second is about an in. below the first baffle. The total volume is around 15g with the baffles so that leaves around 5g of room for the overflow to drain and i also have a check valve in the return so that will not drain any.

Hopefully it will do you good. Cant wait to see this project get done. I am planning the 40g breeder with a 250 mh also when I get my new house. I am still debaiting if I want to have a sump or not, if I dont I will have to set it up so I could add one later if I chose.

Archived