SaltCritters.com

Pili's 40g Breeder

Pili4444

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the compliments guys:)

I know about the aptasia i just havent had a chance to get rid of it yet. There are a few on some of the other frags also.

I think that i may just get another sixline (they are such cool fish) but i have to see what a couple of LFS have this weekend. I am kinda spontaneous so if i see something good i may get it.

A couple more pics for ya:)

My make shift moon light set up. i couldnt find a place to mount it and all of the LEDs burned out I think b/c of the heat in my nano cube hood.

ghetto%20moonlight%20004%20copy.jpg

And a couple of pics of my fuge.

fuge+ghetto%20moonlight%20008.jpg

fuge+ghetto%20moonlight%20009.jpg

Does anyone know what type of macro this is?

fuge+ghetto%20moonlight%20010.jpg

Looks almost like a feather caulerpa... But smaller... : Why no chaeto? ;) I like your moonlight. It's pretty funky. How big is the sump/fuge area?

Undertheradar

thats not a macro...its bryopsis. You might have a phosphate problem...bryopsis in particular is a good indicator of that.

Kogut, cheato is coming next week;)

hmm...last time i checked phosphates i didnt have any but i will check again. Thanks for the advice.

i just checked the phosphates and its at 0. Right now its only in the fuge so i dont mind it but is there anything that i should be worried about with having it.

Kogut, the sump/fuge is a 20g and the fuge area is about 14Lx13Hx12W and the first baffle is 14in high so i'm guesstimating that it holds about 15g give or take.

Hey Pili, I like your background....did you paint it or put one on? What shade of blue did you use? Thanks....your tank looks great!!

Yup those are Bryopsis,its sucking up all your phosphate that is why its undetected.Dont let those thing going in your main tank or it will look like your sump. About your Mag7 did you fix the noise problem? I have 1 in my sump running really quiet

BRISK495: I did painted the back with Krylon Fusion spray paint and i think the color was called patriotic blue.:)

GOT REEF. AI: That could be but i'm not sure where the phosphates would be coming from. I only use RO/DI water. The only thing that i can think of is from the salt (Reef Crystals) although it says it has no phosphates.

Does the Bryopsis need phosphates or can it grow without it?

The mag 7 isnt really loud it was just an annoying hum at first but i got used to it. The overflow box was what was pretty loud but i did a few adjustments and it quieted down a little. The whole system just seemed loud when i first set it up but i got used to it.

Looks great. I am setting up a 45 breeder with basically the same light. Same size just 2" wider. 36"X18"X16" BB though. Will be putting about 1600gph with two seio 820 or one 6060 stream. Keep up the great work.

For me i will take it out because it can easily break off and landed in your main tank and by that time its gonna be a big mess.I guess you have a small colony of it in your sump for it to start spreading.

For the Mag7 i use 1" PVC returm pipe and a foam pad under the pump to quiet the humming noise and increase the flow.

GOT REEF: I may leave it in there until i can figure out where the phosphates are coming from to begin with. So far it hasnt dont any harm and if i see it start to grow in the main tank then i will yank it out. Oh, and i'm using 3/4 PVC for the mag 7.

Dwdenny: It is an AB 20k. Most people say that it is actually around 14k-15k and it doesnt seem as blue as other 20ks but i really like the very crisp blue/white color once it burns in.

I just picked up a Bicolor Pseudochromis and he is acclimating right now. I will post some pics later. I read on Live Aquaria that they will eat ornamental shrimp, is this true? Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks

Here ya go...

10451bicolor_dottyback_005.jpg

This is the only good picture that i have been able to take of him. My bother also just bought one of B16A2NR's rare frag packs which i'm keeping in my tank until he gets his tank up and running so i will take some more pics when we get those.

I also found out that that huge peice of LR on the left side also has a network of tunnels/caves in it which the bicolor discovered. There are at least 3 entrences that i can see and there is a pretty deep cave on the top also. The Bicolor will go in the rock one side stay in there for like a minute and then all the sudden pop out the other side. I just thought that was pretty cool.

My sunrise dottyback did that all the time when I had my old tank, last year. It would disappear in a rock, then pop out of a totally different rock... It's amazing what little holes they can find in the rocks. I always worry about one getting stuck, though. :( Great looking fish. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get a fridmani psuedochromis. ;)

Hey, no real updates this time. Hopefully i will get some SPS in the next month or so but i have to get my Calcium and Alk. up a little. Cal. is in the 375 range and i want to get it up to about 420. Besides that i think i am going to add a seio 820 to replace the old power head i have in there now and then i think i'm set.

I'm probebly going to order one of Dr. macs SPS frag pack that has 4 bright acros and 3 other frags. That should add some nice color.

The zoos are really starting to grow and spread and in a few weeks i should be able to make some frags.

I still havent figured out why there is the bryopsis. I have tested everything (tank water, RO/DI, water change water) that could be a source and they are all 0 so i am thinking that there arent any.

I have a couple questions though:

1. Which brand of Cal/Alk supplements have you had the best luck with?

2. When you frag zoos, after you cut and glue the frag onto a rock can you just place it back into your tank or should you have another tank/tub set up to put it into temporarily?

3. Where do you get the long lasting heat packs for shipping? I can find the bags but i dont know where to start looking for the heat packs.

4. How many more fish do you think i could fit in my tank? Right now i have the pair of clowns and the bicolor psudochromis but i would like to posibly have 2-3 anthias and 2 more rock dwelling fish (pygmy angel, sixline, etc.) or is that pushing it.

Sorry for the long post

phergus_25

I like my kent alk supplement. I dosent raises my PH at all but raises the Alk. And when I have glued my SPS I just put them back into the tank. So I would say just put it back into the tank.

Archived