Cultivated Reef

Pili's 40g Breeder

Pili4444

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was worried that one pendant over the tank was not going to be enough light, I am on a budget and two would be out of the question, but that looks like plenty and then some. Excellent looking progress Pili and keep up the good work. One question for anybody who would like to answer, would a se bulb do the same or is de the way to go?

lol! lets hope that statue you got standing on the ballast doesnt melt!

did you compulsively check for chips and cracks? b/c i had to return my 40brd due to a chip-

Here are a few shots of the plumbing before i started filling it up.

10451plumbing_001-med.jpg

10451plumbing_002-med.jpg

10451plumbing_003-med.jpg

10451plumbing_004-med.jpg

The 40g is about 3/4 full and then the sump has to be filled so i will post pics when that happens.

Hey, just a quick question. I'm filling the sump and i was wondering how high i should fill the last chamber (with the pump).

BTW: the tank isnt bowing which is good.

Thanks

I would suggest the least amount possible, just remember, that area is where you will notice your evaporation from, unless you have an auto top off. So make sure you have enough water in there to go a whole day without needing to top off. Hope this helps.

The tank is all filled up and it is running. The pump and the overflow are pretty loud and its in my bedroom so i have to find a way to make it a little less noisy. I also think im going to add a closed loop once i recoup some money but other wise I think it looks good.

10451filled_002.jpg

10451filled_001.jpg

do you have a dorso pipe and you can put the end of it into a filter sock or something, or see if you could submerge it it looks great, o and also what type of overflow is that? and how much $$$?

Travis: I think that i'm probebly going to do something like like tigahboy's but in more of an ~ shape. I also like the idea of twin peaks but it would be harder to place corals.

I'm going to wait though before i order any LR because i'm going on vacation on Friday for a week.

Shaz: Ya, i will probebly just get used to it but the problem is my grandma sometimes stays in my room and shes kinda anal about that stuff.

Phergus_25 I'm think that im going to put a 90* elbow where the hole is in the overflow. That and the pump are really the only noisy things.

The overflow is an amiracle and i think it was around $60 (i lost track, lol).

It looks very good, indeed. A closed loop would probably allow you to only have 1 return from the sump, too. That might be nice since the CL would provide more flow. Cutting down the noise is always a challenge. Took me a while to get it right. I had to pad my PH's w/ their power cords. ;) Good luck w/ that.

pili, is it a sucking noise? gurgling? wouldnt removing the submerged drain line from under the water and relocating it to a place where it would pour down remove the excess noise?

Looking great so far. Towards the end of this year I'm probably going to be setting up a 40G show. I too was worried about a single MH, but it looks like it will work OK from your picture. I'm planning on doing a full hood though with my existing 72W for actinic supplementation. Keep up the great work!!!

I think i should give an update on how things are going.

All of the sand is in, has settled and has been running for a few days now. I am going to check out a place this weekend for LR but i still might order it of the internet.

Here are a few numbers that i have/can remember right now:

*55 lbs. sand in the display (10 more lbs. is going to be transfered from my nano cube)

*20 lbs sand in the fuge

*Salinity is 0.025 (taken w/ a hydrometer so it may be a bit off)

*Temp ranges from 79.3 right before the MH turns on to 81.5 before it goes off (I still have some adjusting to do)

**At least 1.5g of evaporation a day.

I must fill this thing up 2-3 times a day to keep the level high enough. I am going to have to get an autotop off to have any hope of going on vacation. Anyone have any good suggestions on a set up as i'm not sure how to go about setting one up?

Things to do and get still:

*Live rock

*Fuge light

*Autotop off

*Seio pump (I was going to do a closed loop but then i would have 5 big bright white pipes in the tank so the pump would look cleaner)

This tank has taken a little bit longer to set up and a little bit more money (mabey little wasnt the right word, lol) but has been well worth it and i'm really starting to get excited about stocking it.

Thanks for looking

Pili

I have a few options that i would like to get some peoples opinions relating to me buying LR.

The first option is for me just to buy the LR online like i was planning and do everything the way i was going to.

Heres the second option. Dr. Macs Coral farm is only about 5 hours away from me and i may be able to convince my parents to make a long weekend out of the trip. This might not be able to happen for a few weeks though and i really want to get things transfered over from my old tank as soon as possible so i would move everything over from my other tank this weekend (there shouldnt be any cycle because it is all from an established tank). Then when i get my LR in a few weeks i would cycle that in a garbage bin and then put it in the main tank.

Does anyone see any major issues with this or is it just not a good idea. I know patience is a virtue but at this point my nano cube is just taking up space.

Any opinions would be appreciated as i would like to make a decision soon.

Pili

Archived