Cultivated Reef

Pili's 40g Breeder

Pili4444

This is going going to be my new thread for my upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder. I know its not quite a nano but i dont really like RC so im going to start it here:P .

Initaially the tank is just going to have an AquaC Remora and a power filter for some chem./mech. filtration but after i get some more $, im going to put a 20g sump/fuge on it.

I just picked up the tank today and im going to get the stand and an AquaMedic 150w MH pendent by the end the week.

I'll post some pics once i get the back of the tank painted and the stand.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the AquaMedic didnt ship yet so im still waiting for that but i will have the stand on Friday.

I need to get an ro/di system and i was wondering if anyone could recommend one for around $200.

Thanks

nice setup... sounds familiar.... anyways, i have heard aquasafecanada on ebay is good. i am finally looking into buying a RO unit as well.

Thanks for the responses. I just got the stand today and i'm ready to paint the tank. Should i go with a light blue like Travis' tank or a navy like blue? The bright one seems kinda light but i would like to here some opinions.

Which ever i choose a will post pics tommarow or sunday.

BTW: i was able to change the 150w to a 250w that is going ship today or tommarow.

I figured i might as well post some pics. All the equipment has been shipped or ordered except for the overflow box (have not decided on which one yet) and i still need to get a 20g and some baffles for the sump/fuge.

Here is the tank preped for paint (still havent decided on the color)

And here is the Aqua Medic 250w MH, i fired it up for a minute and WOW that thing is bright!

Most of the other things will be here next week and i will hopefully have it filled with water by the weekend after this one and i will post more pics.

BTW: How do you put more than one pic in a post?

I got the 20k also, mine seems pretty blue and it hasnt even broken in yet but i havent seen another 20k in person to compare it to. I dont think you should have a problem though, even if it was a 13k because you will have the VHO's which should make it alot more blue. I would just let it break in for a while to see if it gets better. If you still dont like it then you could sell the bulb and get another one (i heard that the Ushio 20k are more in the 30-40k range which are really blue).

Good Luck and post pics of your tank also. :)

pili, thanks for the response man... anyway- did you install your bulb so that its facing sideways? like in the pics i showed you in the link.. where the words on the bulb are facing the edge- not upwards or downwards...

reeferbarra20

I've got a problem with one of my Aquamedics . I tested each ballast with the same fixture and it fired up. I did the same thing with the other one and it doesn't turn on . The bulbs are installed the same way in both fixtures,so is i fair to assume that somthing is wrong with that individual fixture?

check to make sure that the bulb is pushed in all the way into the sockets. If the metal on the ends of the bulb are not touching the metal in the sockets than it wont fire b/c there is not electricity flowing through the bulb.

Seeing as i havent ordered the overflow box yet and having been told by numerous people that drilled tanks are better, i am now considering it. I have kinda been avoiding drilling b/c i dont really know how to do the piping. Would you have a 90 elbow upside down or build a internal box and have a durso? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

I stoped by a LFS near me and they happened to have the amiracle overflow so i got it. I also got all of the PVC i need except for a check valve. The only other thing i need are the baffles for the sump/fuge. Does anyone have any recommendations for what material to use?

here is a pic of the overflow.

Hey, figured it was time for an update. I have all the equipment and tonight i'm going to do all the plumbing.

Here is the tank painted.

10451new_tank_old_004-med.jpg

The Ramora and Mag 7

10451new_tank_old_001-med.jpg

I was bored the other day so i decided to re-aquascape my nano-cube. I think it looks more natural.

10451new_tank_old_009-med.jpg

I will post more pics once i put more things together.

Also, i'm trying to figure out how to install my RO/DI and it says to intstall the input line on the cold water pipe by my cold water is like 30-40 degrees and it says that the water needs to be 70ish to work best. Do i have to get a plumber to make a new combined hot/cold pipe or is there another way to do it like a faucet adapter or something like that?

thanks

Pili

Archived