Coral Vue Hydros

Is nano really that dangerous?

Hallaster

Everyone is telling me nano's are for people who are already excellent at keeping marine tanks. They say the water can fluctuate so easily. I've never kept marine. Should I run far away? thanks

YES!! RUN FAAAAAAR FAAAAAAAR AWAY!!

I'm just kidding.. for many members on this board, this is their first experience in saltwater and keeping a nano reef. :) Just do some research on the boards and read past threads. There's plenty of information here at nano-reef.com. (The "search" function is a great tool on this site as well.. ;) ) Just read up! You should be able to have a nano reef up and running in no time!!

dave's the only thing dangerous about this hobby. :P

as long as you have patience, good reading skills, and LOTS of money this is a breeze. don't sweat it. ;)

Agreed. Don't sweat it.

I've only had my tank for six weeks, but so far no problems. I read my @ss off for about a month before I got started.

The only problem I'm having - constantly having to tell myself, "Wait Ross...you've gotta wait".... In other words, I want more stuff NOW, but know that I need to add very slowly to a 10-gallon tank.

So in short, you need:

Knowledge (reading)

Money

Time

Patience

...everything that Tinyreef mentioned. I say "Go for it". It's a blast.

Ross

Nano's not dangerous... it's BAD:P

Go for it. You've got a thousand of experts and peers to guide you along. Read through as many threads in the Beginner's Forum as you can in one seating (you've got a life right?) and then GO For IT.

Just make sure you've got enough $$$ to get quality lights. Then, scour the ebay auctions for deals. A planned approach is a dedicated approach.

It's great, it's fun - this message board is entertaining.

John

Why nano's are bad:

1. they are costly

2. they require a lot more attention than larger tanks

3. you can't swim in them

4. when things die, you can't eat them without getting sick

5. they drink your beer when nobody's looking

why nano's are good:

1. relaxing - lmfao. How many times have I stood, sweating my arse off, trying to move things around to make more room in my tank? couldn't even begin to guess.

2. cheaper than larger, traditional reefs. keep telling yourself that.

3. they are smaller and, therefore, they take up less space. sure, they do but all the crap that goes with them takes up 5 times the amount of space that the actual tank uses.

It's a wonderful hobby, that can give hours of enjoyment but you must read up, take your time and be prepared for the worst at all times. When things go wrong in a small tank, it's on a large scale.

Read, read, read, read, read.........

The more research you can do before you get started, the better.

Plan, read, plan more, then ask questions, read, then revise the plan....

Carpentry saying (from my high school wood shop teacher): "Measure three times, check twice, cut once."

Adapted for nanos:

"Research many times, make detailed plans, ask questions as needed, buy once."

Okay, so it's not as succinct....so sue me. :P

posted by gobies originated by Espi

Read, read, read, read, read.........

Plan, read, plan more, then ask questions, read, then revise the plan....

Research many times, make detailed plans, ask questions as needed, buy once."P

I couldnt have said it better myself..... or diidddd I

LOL gobies. ;)

I would suuggest going from freshwater, then try brackish, then try maine fish only, then fowlr, then large reef, then nano reef. YEAH RIGHT!!

I did freshwater tanks for years and years, always wanting to do a reef tank, but I had heard that they were an absolute nightmare to get going. Then one day(picture a dream like sequence), I walked into an LFS with a 10gal reef behind the register. I asked the guy about five million questions, and spent a sh*tload of time reading, and jumped right in. The only big difference is you have to stick to maintenance, you can't just blow it off once in a while. Freshwater is a lot more forgiving of laziness. And you must be patient, in terms of adding livestock you need to switch gears from thinking in terms of days and weeks, to thinking in months. READ,READ,READ, and be patient.

Start off with the right equipment, you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run. If you can't afford the equipment wait until you can.Good lights, Good live rock and substrate, and good water.

Go for it!!

;)

printerdown01

Ross said it the best, so I'm just going to re-state some things he already said. READ. The biggest problem with new reefers is that they have less knowledge, less knowledge leads to more mistakes, and nanos are not so forgiving in the mistake department (a lot less so than big tanks). BUT, that really isn't a problem if you read. Not only that, this board is AWESOME for newbies!! Before you purchase something, come on and ask about it!! And never put chemicals in your tank w/o asking as many people as possible -a lot of newbies get in trouble this way. To be honest with you I really don't think that nanos are harder than larger tanks. The difference: water changes. If you do 10% every week or bi-weekly your nano will be just fine. In a larger tank you wouldn't have to do them frequently (perhaps once a month). But then again if you had a big tank you would have other things to worry about (dosing, calcium reactors, protein skimmers ect).

Originally posted by Crakeur

Why nano's are bad:

[...]

5. they drink your beer when nobody's looking

Goddamn it! I had been wondering where all me Guinness had gone.

Originally posted by Brianc_4

I would suggest going from freshwater, then try brackish, then try maine fish only, then fowlr, then large reef, then nano reef.

LOL! I started with brackish, then tried planted fw (still working on those), then jumped straight to a 10g nano.

The planted tanks are more work than the nano.

My nano maintenance schedule:

Several times a day: feed clownfish 2-3 very small crumbles. Time required: up to five minutes depending on how long I feel like watching my fish.

Every other day: dose B-Ionic and iodide. Time required: two minutes, if that.

A couple of times a week: water top-off. Time required: five minutes or less.

Once a week (okay, sometimes every other week): water change. Time required: 10 minutes to start water mixing on Thursday, 15 minutes to do actual water change on Friday.

My planted tank maintenance schedule:

Twice a day: feed fish.

Three times a week: dose assorted plant fertilizers. I have four of them. Time required: five minutes.

Once a week (or so): trim plants and deal with algae. Time required: five minutes to an hour.

Once a week: water top-off. Time required: ten minutes.

Biweekly: water change. Time required: half an hour (30g tank vs. 10g nano).

Biweekly: filter floss change (mechanical filtration). Time required: five to ten minutes.

Monthly: Phosguard change. Time required: ten to fifteen minutes.

Bimonthly: clean filter. Time required: at least half an hour; it's a PITA.

And guess which tank looks better....

Archived