SaltCritters.com

What do you feed your crabs???

wnuk

I am curious as to what everyone is feeding their crabs.

I know we all want them to eat algae, but if there just isn't enough to go around, what do you supplement their diets with?

I don't feed my crabs anything, they're scavengers, they'll find their own food. I've had mine for almost a year now and haven't specifically fed them anything at all.

Once again ... no need to feed the crabs, they feed themselves. But, if you crabs start eating things you don't want them to(i.e. corals, snails) then you might want to feed them. what to feed them..anything will work.

Thanks for the help guys....

I have spent all morning trying to roll mini bean burritos, but I just can't get them to roll properly.

Does anyone have any secrets on how to get the burritos to stay rolled up?

try licking the edge of the tortilla or, and this part can be toxic so use non-toxic adhesive, glue the bugger shut. Also, if you don't overstuff the burrito (which most people do) you can actually fold the tortilla into itself, thus keeping your contents intact. There is nothing uglier than watching a crab eat a burrito that has unfolded. By the way, the methane the crabs produce from the beans is excellent for the tank and, as a side note, if you hold a flame over the tank, when a bubble hits the surface you will have a little blue flame fireworks show. A neat way to impress your friends.

As Brianc_4 said, when mine start eating things they shouldn't be eating, I'll feed them a few shrimp pellets. They love 'em. As soon as I drop a few into the tank, they come running. It's hilarious.

Ross

BustytheSnowMaam

I don't have any algae, so I feed mine, and I feed them the algae wafers you can buy at Wal-Mart. I'll also drop in a small piece of raw fish/shrimp from the freezer sometimes.

I had a problem with the burritos. As the bubbles would roll out of the crab's shell, it would frighten the crabs as they saw the bubbles come rolling up their backs behind their eyes, and they would pop into their shells to hide. Too traumatic for the little guys.

Tasha

Archived