inTank Media Baskets

Algae in new tanks

Fishiebusiness

Fishiebusiness

Can someone give a basic outline of what kinds of algae show up in new tanks and what they look alike. Pictures or links would be much appreciated.

(Edited by Fishiebusiness at 11:47 pm on June 8, 2002)

You can get:

Brown Algae; or rather proper name is Diatoms- mainly from silicates and phospahtes.

Green algae, red algae, cyano, hair algae etc etc.

Just  do a search on the net for the words I gave you or try "reef aquarium algae" adding words like nuisance etc.

Also try microalgae.  In a reef tank, macroalgae are desirable.

I am sure you'll come up with all the necessary info if you do a search on google or yahoo

Hope that helps.

NanoReefer53

all i got at the beginning was a tad bit of red slime but the single hermit i got took care of that. Now after 1 month of the new set-up I only get slight brown algae on the glass that is cleaned up quickly. Always use the best R.O water. I've noticed a big difference in algae after using tap water in my old gallon.

I usually see diatoms show up first.  These are short-lived if you keep your water quality up, and have plenty of circulation.  Next is usually hair algae, which will last a bit longer.  Sometimes, red slime will make an appearance in there, but I don't usually see it in tanks that are being set up slowly, and with good water quality maintenance.

Archived