Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question on lighting construction

kelp

I am working on setting up a 10 gallon reef and had a question on the lighting construction.  Browsing throught the posts here and doing my research I saw a remark that all lighting should have some type of shield between the light fixtures and the tank.  Is this pretty much a general consensus? Does anybody keep a glass or acrylic cover on tank and place lighting hood directly on top of this? or are canopies the preferred method?  If canopies is there a recommended distance to keep bulbs from the top of the water?

Thanks for any help, you can't beat this type of resource for getting started.

In general, there are no canopies for 10G's that will keep the lights far enough away to avoid salt spray and moisture.  The latter of which may cause a fire.  A glass top will help keep your lights clean, reduce evaporation, and keep your house from burning down.

a glass top over the tank would also limit gad exchange. i have a DIY canopy for my 10 gal tank with 2 36W PC in it without any glass or acrylic material between them. if you water resistant end caps then it shouldnt be a problem. although salt will get on the reflector and bulbs. you can just wipe them off with a moist napkin.

Archived