Innovative Marine Aquariums

too much current??

jackdp

I have a aquaclear 301 (@170gph) powerhead in my 20 long tank, and I was thinking bout putting in a second. the tank is fish only right now, but in future i would like it to go reef. what are some of the other 20L tanks running...would 2 PH's be too much?

2 powerheads would actually be preferable. You can point them in opposite directions to get some counter current. I have in my 20H , 2 rio 90s(would get maxijet next time), 1 micro pump, a hob, and a maxi1200 on my skimmer. A lot of flow is a good thing, it keeps dead spoots from occuring, adds dissolved oxygen when they cause surface agitation, and helps to spread coralline. Once you add corals the positioning of them becomes more important depending on the type of coral. For example, a galaxia, or most sps would like a very strong current, while others like a hammer or bubble, would prefer a lighter current. Arrange the power heads in a way that you get current and counter current throughout the entire water column, and place your corals in a spot that meets there needs.

Good luck;)

Hey Brian, I noticed you have a maxijet on your skimmer, that's a cpr bakpak skimmer you're using right? How much improvement have you noticed going with the maxijet over the stock rio pump the bakpak comes with?

Yeah its a CPR, I only switched over to the maxijet about 4 days ago, so its a little early to tell. I have noticed a much denser column of bubbles in the skimmer. I"ll let you know in a week or so, when I see what gets pulled out and into the cup.;)

Archived