Pod Your Reef

How long can sweepers get?

FamousGuy

Whats the longest you've seen sweepers get, especially on euphyllias?  I'd like to try and get a torch and frogspawn (maybe a hammer and a open brain) in a 20 tall and wonder if they'd end up stinging everything and each other.  Tank dimensions are approx. 24x12x16h.  The lfs has a real small 11 gallon with a torch, hammer, and a bunch of shrooms and everything looks alright...although i have to admit they seem like the change the corals in the tank every other week

I have 4 different hammers and 2 frogspawns in my 29g and haven't seen any long sweepers. I believe it depends on the water flow. If the flow is high you will see sweepers, if flow is mid to low you should be ok.

PS: hammers and frogspawns won't sting each other, but torch's will sting.

printerdown01

All euphillias will produce sweepers... They can get up to 12 inches long... However, obviously the smaller the coral the shorter the sweepers!

I've got a hammer with medium flow on it.  The longest sweeper I've seen is about 3 inches.  They usually seem to come out of the middle of the coral and are not long enough to reach the over the sides.

Archived