SaltCritters.com

what is a quiet power head?

SeaFish

I am looking for a power head that pumps around 125-130gph. I need this power head to run as quiet as possible since this will be in my room. I have tried rio400 and profile 601 power heads. Both for some reason have a low intensity clicking sound coming from them. Currently i have a power head that works as a return pump from the built in wet and dry filter. this power head is made by penguin and it pumps 170gph without making anymore sound then a slight hum. I am looking for a power head that will be just as quiet as the penguin powerhead and if not even quiter/. Anyone have any suggestions? need a quiet power head that pumps 120-130 gph and is not too bulky. Can anyone help?

Maxi-jet 400 by Aquarium Systems should suffice. Quiet and reliable. Or you can go with their mini-jet 606, it's flow rate is adjustable but it doesn't have a deflector so water just shoots out straight. I guess you could add or make some kind of deflector to adjust the flow where you want it. The 606 is small too and looks good in a small tank.

has any one heard of mini jets and micro jets which are also made by maxi jet? i was wondering if anyone have any experience on these power heads? if so please tell me how it performs please. I want to know if its real quiet and if hte flow rate is worth buying. Quiet i mean by just a low barely noticeable hum. Thank you all in advance.

I use the largest sized microjet. I think it does 50gph, 70gph, or 120gph roughly. You change the nozzle to change the amount (easy to do, just pull one out, put other in). It is very quiet, smaller even than the smallest mini jet because I compared them at the store (it may be the smallest ph made), and mine has been going rock solid for around 3 months. From everyone else I have spoken to, microjets are great on long term reliability. I use mine in a 10 gallon tank to circulate the lower half of the tank at 80gph. One word of caution, if you are looking for lots of features besides gph control, this may not be the ph for you. Straight out of the box, you can not direct the flow. Also, if you are wanting something to aerate, it does not suck air and mix it so you may look at a maxijet for that. But for pure water current/circulation in the smallest size ph available, I don't think you can do better.

Thank you all so much for your reply post. I really appreciate it. I have made up my mind after reading the replies and did a research on this forum. most of you guys think maxi jet, mini jet and micro jet are very dependable and quiet. So i have place an order for a maxi jet 400 and the largest of the mini jets. Thank you all for your help.

Archived