ReefCleaners.org

eclipse 12

nmduke2001

I recently started a nano using an eclipse 12. Has anyone else done this? If so, can you provide details on whether or not you use the filters and what type of lights you use? I'm using a 13W 10,000K True Actinic 50/50 nano-reef bulb designed specifically for the eclipse from www.hellolights.com. Is this enough light? Thanks for the help.

Hi nmduke2001, welcome! I too started like you with an eclipse 2 months ago. Do a search on "eclipse" at this site, you'll find lots of useful threads!

I use the filter plus one small powerhead. I use the carbon and the biowheel, although you will find lots of people don't. I have a 32W Supernova Smartlite installed. It was very easy to install. I have a frogspawn and green star polyps as my only corals, plus a yellow-tail damsel, an ocellaris clown, peppermint shrimp, 4 hermits, 2 bumblebee snails, and an emerald mithrax crab. Have 20 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. No skimmer. Weekly 2 gallon waterchanges. Everything going great so far! IMHO, your light may be OK for some mushrooms and low-light soft corals, but not enough for others. I feel comfortable with some LPS with my Supernova 32 provided they are near the top of the tank. I would not even think about SPS or clams.

The eclipse is acrylic, so you must be careful as it scratches easily. I haven't scratched mine yet, and had acrylic tanks in the past with no problems.

printerdown01

I have a similar system. I run a 12 gallon glass aqarium with an Eclipse hood. I run both the activated carbon packets (the vast majority of the time) and I run the bio-wheel. It isn't a "popular" to run the bio-wheel, but I have had the tank for over a year, and have had no problems... As for lighting I would use a 32W retro on the tank. I currently use 2x32W, but everything was VERY happy under the single 32W SmartLight. You can keep all softies and most LPS under this. You could also easily add another 13W to give you 26W of light... I don't think you'll really have any problems with it... If you have any questions about my set-up just PM me...

printerdown01

There are some of mine in the DYI section, as well as my web-site... Web-site has a whole section on my 1x32W system, while the DYI section has my 2x32W. It is not the exact hood, but it will be close in construction (the differences will be obvious when you look at it).

Archived