SaltCritters.com

DT's ?

Glenn

DT's=DT's Phytoplankton

It comes in a refrigerated bottle and contains live nanochloropsis which is used to directly feed sponges, clams, some soft corals, and zooplankton. It is at the bottom food chain so it may also help indirectly feed corals that are carnivorous. I feed it to my tank, and sometimes to baby brine shrimp an hour or two before feeding them to the tank.

I don't know about the other stuff though as I don't use it.

That's just the kind of explanation I was looking for. :happy: I hear people all the time talking about DT's but never giving an explanation of what exactly they are. Thanks again.

Also anyone use garlic to supplement their food? Do you drip it on and let it dry before giving it to the fish, or do you soak it and let it dry?

I think you are right about Selcon and Zoecon being about the same thing. I use Zoe and Zoecon to soak food before feeding. I have never used Selcon but I gathered from reading that it also contains fatty acids as Zoecon does. They may differ slightly but I am guessing the end results are about the same.

Zoe is a vitamin supplement. Zoecon is a HUFA (highly-unsaturated fatty acid) supplement. If feeding good food, I don't think there's much of a need for Zoe, but HUFAs are lacking unless you use raw, fresh food. As far as HUFA supplements go, Zoecon and Selcon are pretty much identicle.

As for garlic, I only add it to fish food when they're sick. Otherwise I just add the Selcon. When I do use it, I grind up a bunch of good flake food into 2-3mm pieces, put it in a small cup, and add a couple drops of garlic extract. 5 minutes later, I put the food in the tank.

Same procedure for HUFA supplements, too, but I do it with frozen and flake food. I use just flake when the fish are ill, because it soaks up a lot more garlic. I've found that the more garlic they get, the faster the recovery.

Thanks MKrammer. This thread has answered ALOT of different questions I have had. :happy: Maybe it's just me but it seems all the other aspects of this hobby are covered pretty extensively by these boards. You might catch a few techniques when someone is posting about something else (i.e. algae problems), but it never seems like people post what, how often, and what they supplement w/ their feedings. Thanks everyone for all the input, you've been very helpful. :)

Archived