Cultivated Reef

cleaner shrimp just molted...antennae look weird

jmz

one of my white striped cleaner shrimp just molted and his antennae look strange. they're sort of curved and wavy, not straight and rigid like before.

is this normal? could it be something in the water...relating to the calcium/alk levels maybe?

thanks for your help.

dont worry about it. it is completely normal if it just molt its new shell hasnt had a chance to harden. just like crabs, when they get there new body parts it takes time ot harden. this is why many shrimps hid for a few days after molting because this is when they are most vulnerable to predators.

the one that molted the other day is still showing the wavy antennae...

over the weekend, my other cleaner shrimp died.

should i be concerned of possible change in water conditions?

btw...what are some good test kits out there for calcium/alk/iodine etc.?

thanks.

Usually antenae are the first to show signs of Iodine problems, I have found if your shrimp molt often and the antenae look rusty there is too much iodine, The wavy I haven't had much expierience with If you dont dose any Iodine try alittle (half recomended amount) If you do dose Iodine stop for a while and do a water change.

Take that with a dose of salt as it's just a maybe answer.

HTH,

Toy

Sorry to hear about the other shrimp dying.

As for the teste get the Salifert range.  Most poeple use these kits and they are more than good enough.

I got the pH and Calcium in this range.

My Shrimp moulted the day after yours did.  One of its antennae is also wavy and not straight.

I guess its alright though.  Perhaps next moult it will become alright again.

I would test the water, perhaps this will tell you why the other shrimp died.  Else if water parameters are fine, I guess it died of natural causes.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice.

i've heard that iodine in the water doesn't affect them as much as their iodine intake (from what they acually eat).

i guess we'll have to wait and see how the other shrimp does.

thanks for the advice.

i've heard that iodine in the water doesn't affect them as much as their iodine intake (from what they acually eat).

i guess we'll have to wait and see how the other shrimp does.

Archived