inTank Media Baskets

Stinking water in tank

freshwater

Does any one has experience or heard about reef tanks being

really stinky and bad smell. How often it happens?

I have a fresh water 30gh and i have no problem with it so far.

How bad is this problem with saltwater reef tanks, i am planning to put one 29g in my dining room with wooden floor. Last thing I like to have is a stinky dinning room, my wife will kill me. :D

They only stink if you got a bunch of dead stuff in 'em!

I have three nanos in a room about 6' x 7' and the only stink in here is me....lol (oh yeah, and there all hovering over a $4000 oriental rug, if you spill on the floor wipe it up right away!)

Heh. If your tank smells bad, something's wrong... Since it'll be in your dining room, you'll see it every day -- just check it and do a daily snail count. If anything smells worse than three-day-old dead snail, I don't want to know about it. (I lost a mystery snail in a fw tank -- must've died the Friday we left for a long weekend...phew!)

Actually, I think a healthy reef tank smells really good. Although the other day, I was trimming back some xenia, and I stuck a piece under my girlfriend's nose. She almost vomitted. She didn't find it as funny as I did :)

Originally posted by Satchmo

I stuck a piece under my girlfriend's nose.  She almost vomitted.  She didn't find it as funny as I did :)

That's like giving your girl the dutch oven. Hysterical for you, horrific for them. If ya don't know what the dutch oven is, don't ask.

It could it possibly be the live rocks.. make sure you cure it or get some thats cured to avoid a stinky rotten egg smell. :x

Originally posted by Crakeur

That's like giving your girl the dutch oven.  Hysterical for you, horrific for them.  If ya don't know what the dutch oven is, don't ask.

I'd be sleeping on the couch toot-sweet :)

Since I am in the proccess of setting up the new aquarium I will make sure I get Cured Live Fiji rocks. The chances of getting stink is less

on cured as compare to un-cured rocks thats what I have learned so far by reading few web sites.

I like my reef aquarium to give me a feeling of

walking on the beach. :P

Just remember - during the curing process your tank will likely smell more like Galveston.

(For those of you who don't live in Texas (most of you), Galveston is South of Houston on the Gulf....brown dirty-looking sand, musty air....sorta smells like dead fish...)

Ross

Hey Ross but after curing it will smell like beautifull 'San Padre Island' which is south of Galveston and Corpus Christe.

I was there 3 yrs back when a Big Hurricane hit the Island it was awesome. :P

Originally posted by Crakeur

That's like giving your girl the dutch oven.  Hysterical for you, horrific for them.  If ya don't know what the dutch oven is, don't ask.

Is that like the dirty sanchez?

Archived