Coral Vue Hydros

Question on cured rock in new tank?

pastelball

I have reading on cured and uncurded rock. My question is when I buy my LR it will be cured. What should I do as in get the water and sand first then let it cycle or get the LR and sand and start then?

depends on where you get your rock from. if its shipped, then there will be some die off. really, unless you get something like tbs rock thats shipped in water, or pick it up locally, and transport it in water, there's going to be some die off, which means you'll have to cure it. obviously, getting it locally will result in a lot less die off then getting it shipped. if there's nothing in the tank, you can cure the rock in the tank.

What should I do as in get the water and sand first then let it cycle or get the LR and sand and start then?

i'm not sure if i'm reading this right, but you'll want to get the water set up...correct spg, temp, you can add sand if you'd like, then add your rock, which will kick off your cycle...that make sense?

HTH

I can pick it up as its local about 20 min from us. See if I can explaine better. If we get rock already cured do we cycle our tank then add the lr or add everything together. I have search but nothing really explains it well.

As soon as the rock leaves the water there is some die-off as far as I know. The longer it is out of the water the more occurs. So there will always be a cycle, if it is out momentarily then the cycle is very minor and probably won't be noticed. The only way to really tell I would say is to ck the ammonia level and that would give you a better idea of the amount of die off ....On the other hand if it is kept in water during the transition to the tank then there really shouln't be any die off or it should be minor.. after a day or two check the ammonia level..that should tell you what's going on..

Archived