Just Finished Drilling Glass Tank!!!

XXX

Just wanted to share my results with the class. As you learned in my DIY Glass Nano Tank I broke my refugium tweaking it, Sooooooo I took this 5 Gallon Glass Tank and said what the hell and drilled it. I'm a dremel madmanB) . i should have it plumbed tonight and will post more results. Oh, by the way it's drilled for 1.25" DIY bulkhead output (1"PVC)and 1" DIY bulhead input (3/4" PVC)

Hey XXX, looks good, but I have a question about your air driven skimmer. Did you make it? If so, could you make me one, for a reasonable price?

Thanks Travis, That air driven skimmer you saw in the other post is a Sander Piccolo Skimmer - retail was $30 when I bought it. It's a German Import. I'm working on my own mini skimmers right now, I post results when I'm done. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, only took me about 5 minutes with this glass thickness. I'm working on any instructional video. I hope to have it really by this weekend.

Undertheradar

I have been able to make very nice holes using the dremel circle cutting attachment. Now, the guide revolves around a pin...good for wood, but not glass...unless you use the diamond bit to make a central hole first...then stick the 'pivot' in the hole and drill it out. Works great now, but before when I was freehanding after marking with a sharpie my holes were very jagged.

Sorry, can't help you there. I do everything freehanded (I used to cut case designs). I'll tell you what though, I've been marking the holes on the otherside of the glass. The reason being, Even with a permantent maker the combination of the dremel and constant water spraying will wash off your guide lines. Make sure your at 30,000 rpm, it makes a difference.

I'm going to try and stream it over the web. Hopefully! I have know ideal how I'm going to do it though. Drilling holes is easier for me:)

Archived