SaltCritters.com

Diy FW rock?

Deleted User 8530

Deleted User 8530

Hello all DIYers. I just made a little bit of DIY rock. I was wondering if it was possible to use the Extra in my chiclid tank? Do i ahve to cure it LongeR? Will it still have too high of a PH?

it depends on what kind of rock it is. usually rocks used in fresh water is a lot more dense and isnt as porous as the live rock u buy at the lfs.

If you want, u can find base rock, which is usually live rock that has completely died out. It just takes longer for corline algae to grow on it. I've seen the price as low as $1.50/lb.

I try to stay away from fw rock for a reef tank. But I have used lava rock before with great success.

Deleted User 8530

I think I didnt make my self as cear as I wanted... I made some DIY rock for my SW tank and was wondering if I could use the extra In my FW tank after it cures (lets out the high PH)

Well it's kind of important. Just check out some cichlid forums and see what you can come up with. The African rifts I believe have alot of limestone which hardens (ph of 8 +) the water. The Central/South American cichlids mostly come from Jungle type areas that have alot of dead decaying wood that tends to soften (ph of >7) the water.

Archived