3 weeks into it

Darth_NANO

HI EVERYONE,

JUST STARTED A 20 GALLON HIGH. (24X12X16). HAVE 23.5LBS OF FIGI MIXED WITH FLORIDA LIVE ROCK. I HAVE COMPENSATED THE 2 LBS PER GALLON RULE FOR THE FLORIDA LIVE ROCK SO 23.5LBS IT IS. ANYWAY, MY QUESTION IS, WHEN IT COMES TIME TO STOCK MY TANK WITH FISH, I AM CONFUSED AS TO HOW MANY IS TOO MANY. THERE ARE SO MANY INCONSISTENT FORMULAS IN BOOKS AND ON THE WEB SO I FIGURE I'LL ASK MY FELLOW NANO REEFERS. EVETUALLY MONTHS DOWN THE ROAD, I WILL DO CORALS. I HAVE 2 100WATT POWER COMPACT LIGHTS. ONE ACTINIC AND ONE FLOURECENT.

I'D LIKE TO GET THE FOLLOWING. ONE CLOWN FISH

ONE ROYAL BASSELET

AND IF SOMEONE COULD ALSO TELL ME, A DECENT CLEAN UP CREW.

THANKS GUYS!

B)

As far as fish in a tank I would say for that 20 gallon you can place around 4 fishes. 5 I think will be pushing it. But you can always try it if you get small enough fish. I've had 6 in my 20 in one point and had no problems. For a cleaning crew I would say something like some turbo snails and other type of snails. I've had turbo snails in mine and they work great. Another thing is that the Diamond head goby is a great sand cleaner. They keep your sand very clean.

Thanks Cesar. Its always unclear you know. I think I'll do 3 just to be safe. By the way, even thought this site does not condone the use of a protein skimmer, do you use one anyway?

Originally posted by Darth_NANO

...even thought this site does not condone the use of a protein skimmer, do you use one anyway?

What are you talking about? Many people here have skimmers...

Darth Nano that's not actually true. I would say about 90% of the people here have protein skimmer. They are very helpful and good. Im in that 10% that dont have one and that's just cause Im waiting on a Aqua C Remora from a fellow reefer that will be selling it to me. The best way to go is an Aqua C Remora. I say YES get one.

Cesar, props on the Aqua C Remora, I just bought one from Marine Depot and it should be here by Monday. How big is your tank by the way? How long has it been running?

I have a 20 Gallon that's 24x12x16 with about 30 lbs Fiji LR and 25 lbs LS. It's been up for about 5 months now. I have 3 fish - 1 orange & white percula clownfish, 1 black & white percula clownfish and 1 bicolor blenny. (I used to have a royal gramma but he got stuck to one of my powerheads one day.) For a cleanup crew, I have +/- 12 nassarius snails, 12 cerith snails, 10 mexican hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp and what I think is a teddy bear crab that probably was a hitchhiker from one of the many coral in my tank. And I also have an Aqua C Remora Skimmer with the Preskimmer and MaxiJet 1200. Next to my Aqua Medic, the Aqua C Remora is the best piece of equipment I have for my tank.

What kind of coral do you plan to keep in your 20 Gallon? The reason I ask is because when I started out, I had a 80W 6500K Power Compact Lighting System then 2 months later I upgraded to a 130W with Dual Daylight/Actinic bulbs then 6 weeks later I upgraded that to an Aqua Medic 250W 20000K Metal Halide so I can keep more light dependant coral and inverts. If I knew what I know now back then I would have bought the MH right away. Just something to think about if you plan on keeping things in the future like a clam or anemone or SPS corals. Otherwise your lights are good for keeping mushrooms and other soft corals that aren't so light dependant.

At this point Thee1nOnly, I just want my tank to work. If I can get as far as polyps, I will be happy. I'm sure the urge will kick in to go more challenging when that gets old though!

I have a 20 gallon L. It's been up and running for about 7 months now. It's been a great experience. Congrats on your Aqua C, you wont be dissapointed. Alot of people use it here and they all say it's wonderful, you'll see. Keep us posted.

I think it is so variable because of the different needs of different fish. You could easly put 3 fish in a 12 gallon cube, if they are things like a clown, and a couple gobies. But some other fish will just get stressed out in such a small tank with other fish in it. Safest bet is just to research the fish you want, and find out their needs. I have a 29 gallon and in it i have a Maroon clown (going to dads big tank if he gets too big), 2 green chromis, a baby yellow tank (don't worry LOL, he has a 200 gallon to go into when he grows up tang police :P ) A bi color blenny, and a pair of yellow damsels.

Archived