Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ozonated Distilled water?

linty

I was looking for a brand of water to replace the distilled water I've been using for the past few changes (it has copper in it!!!)

The only other two brands I can find say they are "ozonated".  What does this mean, and should  I avoid this?

To my very very miniscule knowledge of not much, the ozonation is just a filtration process that companies use to purify their water even further... The stuff I use is really great and very cheap... I go to Meijer and fill jugs up with their water machines. They run a RO unit, Distiller, Ozonator and even UV purifier on the water... Only a quarter a gallon and they are close to my house haha. I have also used the same type machines at two Marsh supermarkets (midwest thang). These machines have worked fine for me as in that my corals have grown well and my algae has been very low... I think that considering a lot of people use the water from their sink with an RO unit for water, that this is a very nice alternative... HTH

gaber

Christopher Marks

When water is bottled, the companies will inject ozone into it to add a little more filtration, as well as help it last on the shelf.  By the time you open it, the ozone has all disappated anyways, and cannot be traced.  Nothing to worry about.

See you guys over the lake got it way better than us here in the UK.

You get to buy your RO water from supermarkets.

We here have to find an LFS that sells it, and half of them dont.  :confused:

My LFS in Vista, California (near San Diego) sells RO water for $.20/gal, and makes it real easy for me by just putting a hose in my 30gal drum in the back of my Jeep, and filling it up.  Then I pump it to another drum at my house, mix in the salt, and voila...I have enough saltwater to last me a few weeks to a month of water changes.

I suppose I should by my own RO unit (about $200 it seems) after awhile...we'll see.

• 19 years later...

What exactly is fluoride ion? I just got distilled water delivered and it says: Ingredients: Distilled water, ionize, fluoride ion. 

Fluoride is a known neurotoxin and I have avoided it all my life. Why is this in distilled water? 

54 minutes ago, KPINC said:

What exactly is fluoride ion? I just got distilled water delivered and it says: Ingredients: Distilled water, ionize, fluoride ion. 

Fluoride is a known neurotoxin and I have avoided it all my life. Why is this in distilled water? 

A fluoride ion is a negatively charged ion that is a single molecule of fluorine (F-). Basically, fluorine dissolved in water. No idea why it's added back into this distilled water since it's not meant for drinking, but I'm very curious about how you have managed to avoided it all your life?

Fluoride is in a ton of things naturally and if you live in the US, your government is adding it to your drinking water. It also occurs naturally in soil, so even if you drink well water you are drinking fluoride. If you drink tea, eat raisins or drink wine, or eat potatoes or carrots you are ingesting fluoride - so you should probably stop eating and drinking water altogether, if you don't want a toxic brain like the rest of us.

I mean, it doesn't matter that you'd need to drink 2 gallons of city water (0.7mg/l F-) every single day starting as an infant to even reach the threshold for an increased risk of developmental issues as a child or drink roughly 4,000g of city water in one go to die of fluorine poisoning, you should probably avoid it at all costs.

• Like 2
On 6/25/2021 at 10:41 AM, jservedio said:

A fluoride ion is a negatively charged ion that is a single molecule of fluorine (F-). Basically, fluorine dissolved in water. No idea why it's added back into this distilled water since it's not meant for drinking, but I'm very curious about how you have managed to avoided it all your life?

Fluoride is in a ton of things naturally and if you live in the US, your government is adding it to your drinking water. It also occurs naturally in soil, so even if you drink well water you are drinking fluoride. If you drink tea, eat raisins or drink wine, or eat potatoes or carrots you are ingesting fluoride - so you should probably stop eating and drinking water altogether, if you don't want a toxic brain like the rest of us.

I mean, it doesn't matter that you'd need to drink 2 gallons of city water (0.7mg/l F-) every single day starting as an infant to even reach the threshold for an increased risk of developmental issues as a child or drink roughly 4,000g of city water in one go to die of fluorine poisoning, you should probably avoid it at all costs.

It is odd that the fluoride was added back into distilled but the nursery distilled and desani both have remineralized distilled for drinking purposes.

• Like 1